atalla

Well Known Member
Hey,

The 4 3/16 holes that are in hs710 hs714 to hs702. Plans say to drill these with the Fuselage installation.

Should they be pilot drilled to #30 in the mean time to prevent burrs in-between the parts
can't seam to find an answer on this one.

I'm interested in the answer to this too as I'm a little bit behind you and will be there soon.

My thoughts at the moment are that, unless someone says it's a bad idea, I plan to match drill that hole as I want to be able to put a cleco there to help hold everything lined up while I drill for the doubler. You can't cleco any holes further out to hold it all straight as they foul the doubler (although mine's an RV-8 so might be slightly different).

I can't see any problem with drilling them to #30 if it helps with drilling the doubler. When the time comes you would then match drill #30 through them to the fuselage attach then enlarge to 3/16". I don't think it's going to have much effect on burrs either way, if the parts are clamped firmly together as you drill or preferably ream to final size you'll minimise the chances of raising a burr between the joined surfaces.

ok ill make em a #30 debur and than when its opened up to 3/16 shouldn't be much chance of a burr. not much material left and it will be all riveted together

Thanks guys.

I drilled mine to #30. Just remember to stick some tape on those holes so you don't accidentally stick a rivet in there and squeeze it. I am going to use some of the 3M removable "scotch" tape. Its cheap and you can pick it up at Staples / Office Depot.

Its good to use on the holes on the horizontal stabilizer skins as well. There are several inboard holes where HS-00005 and HS-00006 ribs are that you have to leave empty so you can install rivnuts for the fiberglass fairing later on in the build. Stick the tape over those holes too!

Thanks for the replies!

I drilled em out to #30 and glad I did because the metal did pile up in-between the panels. I pulled it apart and cleaned everything up. Im sure the quick size up won't cause much issue.

Cheers.