N55CU

Are many of you filling the edge of the HS? I have seen one picture with it finished and several of them just painted. I could insert balsa wood and then fiberglass it. Any benefits?
Thanks,
Randy Utsey
N55CU
RV-7
Charlotte, N.C.

http://img449.imageshack.us/img449/6035/rvtail1010050028oi.jpg

Last edited:
HS Filler

I wrapped some styrofoam with fiberglass for the filler, and then finished with epoxy filled with microballoons.

The only benefits are asthetic. Any difference in drag would be immeasurable.

Dennis Glaeser
7A - Wings (one done, just starting the second...)

Randy, If you saturate both sides of the balsa with Epoxy, it shouldnt be a problem. I used cardboard and placed a layer of glass over it. Foam is actually what Vans says to use but as long as it doesnt ever come loose anything would work fine.

-Jeff

EMPENNAGE%20282.jpg

Filling in

I highly recommend against balsa unless you are confident you can get it sealed completely. Balsa is very pourous and can expand with moisture. I'd recommend 1/2" foam from Spruce. It is structual and tan in color.

I capped everything with that as well filling all of the channels in the elevator, stabilizer, rudder and vertical fin. Easy but a little time consuming. The weight gain if done right is minimal. I did it for the looks and to clean the tail as much as possible.

The great drag producer is parasite drag and the air exiting the tips of the wings and tail group. I also made a speed mod to my wing tips that is reported to add speed and make the roll response much smoother. Weight gain, roughly 3 oz.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Speed mod

I don't know. Then it wouldn't be my little secret!!!! I'll have to see if I even have pictures of it.

Darwin