Stalldog

Well Known Member
Plans call for an AN470AD4-5 rivet to join this to the rear spar, but when I inserted the rivets they looked too long. When I riveted the first one, it bent, so I tried another just to be sure I wasn't holding the riveter at an angle, and it bent also. Drilled them out and went to AN470AD4-4 and they squeezed without a problem. Anyone else have this problem? This was the last set of rivets on the rear spar, and all others went in just fine. :confused:

Rivet length

I don't remember this particular situation but it is not uncommon for the rivet callout to be off a bit. I bought 1/2 length rivets thru about -6 and use the rivet length that protrudes 1.3 to 1.5 diameters.

A few long rivets and a rivet cutter are nice to have as well.

Yeah, it's odd. I used the rivet gauge and checked the shop head dia and height with the -4 rivet and it looks fine, even a little extra height. Also measured the -5 rivet to be sure I didn't mislabel the bin and it's 10/32, so it is indeed a -5, and it was too long, at least for my skills. Oh well, guess all's well that ends well.

On a side note I did what I said the other day and banged about 1/3 of the rivets and it all went well. Good experience!

Rivet length

Glad it is going well.

In the spirit of completely over thinking this....... :)

Do some volume calculations on the protrusion before riveting and the shop head after riveting. Even though it is difficult to account for the material lost due to the rivet swelling in the hole, it is apparent that 1.5 diameters protrusion is actually on the long side (at least for these fairly short rivets we are using). I kept coming up with something closer to 1.3. Some research in the old rivet manuals referenced 1.3 diameters protrusion.

It has been a while since I have done any deep thinking on rivet length, but this is what I remember.

Those 6.5's were the hot ticket for me, but I'm sure a 6 or 7 would be fine.