N546RV

Well Known Member
OK, so I did some searching on this, and I've found a lot of information on edge distance issues when drilling HS-405 to HS-701 and HS-810/814.

That, however, is not what I'm asking about. Thanks to lots of reading beforehand, I had no trouble making those holes and keeping proper edge distance. I was not, however, so fortunate when drilling HS-405 to the skins.

On both of stabs, top and bottom of the ribs, I have the same problem: the forwardmost hole is a touch under MED. Edge distance on all the holes is about the same, maybe a touch shy of 5/32 from center, which works out to 1.67D.

What gets me is that I don't see any way for this to not have happened. Obviously I'm using prepunched holes in the skin for drill guides, and the position of the rib isn't exactly variable; the only way to move it forward and thus increase edge distance would be for it to not be clamped to the rear spar channel.

Anyways, the advice I see concerning MED issues in the front flange amounts to "build on"...does that apply here as well? I figure worst case, I could drop another rivet to shore things up, and it would be pretty nonobvious.

Thoughts?

MED-fail.jpg

When measuring for edge distance or rivet quality, I use the Mil Spec (Military Specification) document that Van's provides on his website:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/Specs.htm

There are different edge distances for different holes and rivets. For example, the edge distance for a non-flush rivet, plain hole, 1/8 rivet is .219 but for a flush rivet, countersunk hole, 1/8 rivet it's .281. Quite a difference from the "rule of thumb" .250 (2 times diameter).

According to my math...1.67D is spot on the Min ED for a dimpled CS 3/32 rivet of 0.156" per the document link above.

It is common to have occur at this location.

Build on. (Van's told me the same when I asked about my HS-405) ;)

Last edited:
According to my math...1.67D is spot on the Min ED for a dimpled CS 3/32 rivet of 0.156" per the document link above.

It is common to have occur at this location.

Build on. (Van's told me the same when I asked about my HS-405) ;)

Agreed. My measurements, and Larry's info, indeed point conclusively to "build on!"

Thanks for the info, Larry. I should get familiar with this data; clearly there's a lot more to know than just "two diameters."

:)

Same problem -same answer

I called Vans to discuss it with them at the time that I ran into this issue. Build on was the answer. Glad to see you are pushing through all the hard parts.

As you mentioned, there's simply no way NOT to end up with this. It's been a known issue for awhile.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=391788

What's amusing to me is that I looked at that exact thread before starting this one. Problem was that, until this moment, I'd been misinterpreting the pictures and thought it was showing a hole in the front flange of HS-405. Of course, now I look at it and realize that it contains the exact guidance I was looking for...

:eek:

I am right at this point this afternoon.
I have everything clamped in place but not yet drilled and it looks like I will have roughly the same dimensions after drilling. Came home to do a little work, have lunch and research this issue. Glad to know it is known and it is a build on.