Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All
Has any one retro fitted 42 gal Harmon rocket tanks to an RV-4 ?
An extra hour of fuel in my -4 would be a good thing:)

That would be quite a project unless you're actually building the wing right now. Why not install tip tanks or other extra fuel elsewhere?

tip tanks?

I'm listening... ;-)

Dmadd
RV-4
installing new MT tonight when hangar cools down...

Has anyone installed a 10 gal header tank between instrument panel and firewall or maybe ferry type tank for back seat. I fly alone and fuel is becoming more scarce to source on my trips.... Extra hr would be great....

Hi Mike
Well I looked at safeair tanks, I didn?t want to add any complexity to my fuel system i.e. vent and fuel lines and fuel valves. The expense 1350.00 for their system, I can build HR2 tanks for half the money.

I can build HR2 tanks for half the money.

Big question in my mind, is will the Harmon tanks fit the existing airframe???

I have seen your quadrants, with your metal skills you could make a set of tanks that work similar to the HW ones, I suspect.

Good luck.

Hi All
Has any one retro fitted 42 gal Harmon rocket tanks to an RV-4 ?
An extra hour of fuel in my -4 would be a good thing:)

Dayton,
When I am done with my fuse I plan on doing the same thing. My wings are already built but I think I will be much happier with the capability to carry 42 gal. I also think the safe air thanks are too much money and add more complexity. It is however, a very nice solution.

Last edited:
squeezing in more fuel

I remember some folks were posting about using -6 tanks on -4s.

Looking at the photos in the link Mike S was kind enough to share, it seems that you could replace the outer leading edge with a second set of shortend -4 tanks. Connecting to the new outboard tank with hoses top and bottom (for vent and flow). too many rolls might starve the engine??

I wonder if there is room to replace the botton of the seat with a tank like the idea of the tank between panel and firewall but closer to CG.

Some tri-pacers have a tank under the rear seat using a fuel pump to transfer the gas into a emptied wing tank. The tank filler pokes through to the aircrafts outside preventing fumes inside. I liked the temporary L shaped fuel tank installed in a cessna 152 for crossing the atlantic. It replaced the copilot and back seats surrounding the pilot. WW1 Nieuport 28s added a second tank inside the cockpit area above the pilots right foot.

Guessing when I have the mechanics take apart my wing to add the HR2 tanks the final bill will be more than the beautiful tip tank kit referd to earlier.
Hmmm Maybe when searching for my -4, I will look for one with big tanks. :D

Tanks allot, Dan

Long Legs

I was one of my buddies "Cheez and Hollywoods" first RV4 customers for Safe Air one ER tanks in my "bandit". Can't beat them. Brings the -4 up to 40 gallons and only adds 8 lbs. Brought my Rocket up to 54 gallons, whew! Go for it, great product!

Smokey
HR2

More Fuel

Dayton,
I second what Smokyray says. I went for the HW Aviation product and am really happy with it.

Sorry I'm not answering your question. Just saying I'm really impressed with their product; and it certainly is a viable alternative for adding more fuel with, for what I thought, was not too much fuss. 8 gals gives me another good hour on the 160 horse O-320.

Cheers,
Deal Fair
RV-4
George West, TX

ER tanks

I had the ER tanks ( Safeair ) installed in my flying 6A by " The guys " in Texas. They did a great job with the install and my paint. Great guys with a great idea. Last year I flew from Rapid city to Chicago non stop and tapped one tank and had reserve when I landed. Couldn't have done it without them. I use them all the time.

Lee

I'm building an RV-6 and plan to extend the tanks to be one bay longer by making the outboard leading edge shorter and extending the length of the tank. There is a lot more going into the change, but you get the jist of it. A change like this would be viable on the 4 also if you are at that point in the build. This seems like the most logical modification since it will not require a change to the fuel system (plumbing, pump, sender, ect.).

Correct me if I am wrong: I believe the 4 tanks are the same as the 6 but just a bit shorter. If (and when) I do decide to move forward with my Mod, I would have a set of -6 rear baffles and undrilled tank skins available if someone wanted to mod their 4 to 6 tanks bringing you up to 38 gallons.

John says

I emailed John Harmon, who replied with:

"If you are building the wings it is an easy change, cost $450 + shipping"

Seems they would fit. Hope this helps

Well Dayton, I don't have any tank advice for you , but knowing you, I bet it will work just fine no matter what you decide, and look good to boot! I still ponder adding tanks to my 8, but my body does good with the current endurance! good luck

cheers

Mike Stewart...

...has 54 gallons in his Super -8. He bought one tank skin, cut it in half and spliced one piece to each original tank skin. Check out his site for info.

Regards,

Just another perspective

I put the Safe Air Tanks in my RV-4. While I do love having the 40 gallons of available fuel, the complexity of the vents and extra feed lines, plus the two pumps I put in to make the transfer a quick and positive one, make the whole thing too complex, too expensive and too heavy.:eek: I have already had one pump fail, which was a problem when I was on a long cross country. If I were doing it again I would definately NOT do the ER tanks, but do RV-6 or HR tanks. Cheaper, less complexity (less chance of failure) and LIGHTER.

Someone told me to build light, but I ignored that sage advice. On testing, during the 40 hours, I calculated a loss of 3 feet per pound in climb performance. Makes a difference
my 2 cents
Ron
RV-4 N8ZD

There is a company named "turtle pack" that builds bladder tanks that fit all the RV's Just strap it in the back seat. A guy I know ferrys stuff to AK using one. I am looking at the 18 gallon one, to give me some real range. Figured I would just replace the fuel selector with an "andair" that has an aux setting, and just run it gravity direct to the engine until it coughs...

DM