mikehoover

Well Known Member
Just about to order some interior paint and have about decided on SW JetFlex WB interior paint. So how is yours holding up over time?

Thanks!

Not flying yet . . .

I painted mine about 18 mos ago with the same paint - holding up ok form me climbing in and out doing wiring and panel work . . .

Flying 3yrs

And almost 550 hours. Holding up fine after transporting kids, dogs and other stuff.

I don't think it is as hard as the nasty 2 part stuff, but you can spray it with a space heater on (but you should not) and it cleans up with tap water. Not a bad trade off. I would use it again.

Here is the sell sheet for Polane 700T which I think is exactly the same stuff.

I laid mine on with a textured finish that I think really turned out nice.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Polan info.

I forgot to ask if a quart is enough to paint the interior and all the removeable panels inside. Or should I just go ahead and get a gallon?

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Polan info.
I forgot to ask if a quart is enough to paint the interior and all the removeable panels inside. Or should I just go ahead and get a gallon?
Depends on the plane and how much of the background you are going to paint. For my RV-10, I used about a quart and a half and I painted everything including what was covered by interior fabric.

I have just finished spraying the removable components of my RV-7's interior with the water-based JetFlex. So far I am happy with it but there are some tricks to the process. I first cleaned the parts with PPG's wax and grease remover and then roughed up with a purple ScotchBrite pad. Then cleaned again with the wax and grease remover. On test pieces I have applied JetFlex without a primer with excellent adhesion but that seemed out of my comfort zone so I primed with NAPA 7220. I desired a smooth satin finish so I thinned the Jetflex exactly as stated with 20% distilled water. The tech sheets say that this is designed to spray at high viscosity so I bought a new Sharpe Finex 3000 gun with a 1.5mm tip and a small 250cc cup (don't use the in-cup filter.. it will clog with the think JetFlex). This works great but I think you do need a gun with a tip size for thick material. BTW, I used the HVLP process with 25 psi at the gun which equates to 10 psi at the tip.

Two wet coats worked good. It dries in about 10 minutes but it takes a couple days for the JetFlex to flow out and harden. It is initially cleaned with water but it sets up fast and MEK seems best for cleanup. They say 4-6 weeks to complete hardening.

5 yrs

5 years and it's holding up well. There are areas where I may not have done the best job of prepping/priming and you can see just a bit of delam, mostly where there are slightly protruding rivet heads. Good part is that you can respray over the affected areas and the paint blends very very well with prior sprays. Of course your color selection may affect the visibility of re-sprays. I would use it again and have.