Rick of Austin

Well Known Member
It really makes me cringe to step on the beautiful leather seats while climbing in. Even using a towel to prevent getting them dirty doesnt keep from squishing the seat cushion and its only a matter of time before the temperfoam breaks down.
Do some of you have a stepping pad built into a center console?
Thanks

I've been flying mine for 10 years, stepping on the cushion every time I get in and out. I used a towel for the first 6 months, then said "to heck with that", and now step directly on the fabric. The fabric isn't damaged/soiled, and the temperfoam is like new.

At this rate, I'll wear out before the seats do. (I'm 46).

I have cloth seats and step on them every time I get in or out of the airplane since day one. After almost 13.5 years of flying and over 2,470 hours, they still look good. They have only been cleaned once in that time. Yes the part I step on is a DARK color. Stepping on the seats is part of what is needed to get in and out of the airplane. No big deal. I recommend not worrying about it. IF you get any wear, it is part of the character of the airplane.

From Rosie: What Gary Said: ditto.
From Iron: What Gary Said: ditto.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Folded, color coordinated towels........all the time. But other than that, it's stepping on the leather seats.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

If the grass is wet, I take off one shoe, step up on the wing, put the shoe in an old pillow case, put the other shoe in the case, toss them in the baggage compartment, step in the plane, and fly in my socks.

Lift the front of the cushion up and straddle the stick, scoot down as you push the cushion back down. My 81 year old Dad can do it no problem. Standing on the cushion with snow on your feet gives you a wet bum.

I also keep a rag in the cockpit for wiping off wet grass from shoes before entering. The grass blows off the wing after engine start and take-off.

It really makes me cringe to step on the beautiful leather seats while climbing in. Even using a towel to prevent getting them dirty doesnt keep from squishing the seat cushion and its only a matter of time before the temperfoam breaks down.
Do some of you have a stepping pad built into a center console?
Thanks

Or just build a RV-10 and you don't have to step on the seat... :D

bob

Step between the seat!

I step between the seat cushions and then the other foot goes to the top of the gear weldment and now bring your first foot all the way in. Works great and keeps the cushions dry and clean.

This is with a sliding canopy and a nose wheel of course :D

We just stomp right in. I always reiterate to passengers to step squarely on the seats! I think they have been out to be lightly cleaned once in over three years, and still look great.

I step between the seat cushions and then the other foot goes to the top of the gear weldment and now bring your first foot all the way in. Works great and keeps the cushions dry and clean.

Same here.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Tip Up

Bob , what are you saying!!!!
At Sun & Fun a few years back, on our first visit to Van's looking at the RV-10. My build partner asked if he could sit in their demo. The staff member almost through him out because he would not step on the seat. He forced him to stop and said if your going to build a 10 you need to learn the proper way to get in. Well, we now have a 10 of our own,and do not follow his instructions.
Ron

Stepping down

Although not flying yet. I have CAD's leather - Aviator - full meal deal and plan on using a leather "ShamWOW" (haha) or some such shammy to cover the leather for ingress. No sweat.

Hmm...

I built a sport plane and step on the seats... clean them at condition inspection, really not an issue for me. :) Rinse and repeat! :eek:

Bought a seat matt from classic aero

I was also mad about entering stepping on my nice leather seats from Classic Aero. Just received from them today a pair of seat matts, same color as the carpet. Nice !

Ditto, altho with the 3rd wheel in its correct position :D I don't have the weldment but I've never felt I needed it. To be honest I'm finding the leather colours up from use anyway...mental note - time to clean the seats :)

More then $2000 for my seats....

Pilot: Right foot around the stick and step on the spar in front of the stick.
Shift weight to the right leg.
Left foot on top of the gear weldment.
Slide on in.

PAX: Reverse the above left/right direction.

Kent

I just close my eyes, click my heels 3 times, and say "there's no place like home". Next thing you know I'm in the airplane. Seriously, with the 10 I've been mounting butt first from the leading edge, roll on my back, and stick both feet in on the floor. Then use the door frame to lift my torso in (I'm kinda tiny).

I ordered the Vans foam seats for my 7A a few years ago. No cover on them yet, but I notice the blue temperfoam has a deep 'crack' where it's bent beneath the thighs. Seems like it's a bit brittle. Normal?
Also, I've been thinking about doing the covering for my seats. Haven't seen any posts on how to cover seats. Any help would be appreciated

Jim
RV-7A Almost done

Getting In

I use exactly the same method as KentB, 2+years flying and the seats still look like new.