tkatc

Well Known Member
How wide is the gear on the -8? Wondering if I can build in my basement with double doors or if the gear will be too wide to get the thing out. I suppose I could build up to a point without the gear before I move to a more suitable area.

Gear width

Someone who has theirs right out in their garage can measure exactly for you,
but I remember it was about 81" or so. I am positive it is less than 84".

If that is too wide, you may still be OK. Without the axles and wheels on, the ends of the gear legs are probably less than 72", so you could make some little wheels that bolt right onto the gear legs (on the inside) to roll it through your doors.

So, someone, maybe verify the width to just the outboard faces of the gear legs as well as the total width.

Mine measures 78" outside tire to tire with grove air foiled gear. And 67" leg to leg outside.

Last edited:
Here's a comparison:

148bah.jpg

Thanks. I might be able to get away without mounting the tires. But if not...how much progress can I make on the entire build without mounting the gear?

progress before gear legs mounted

Thanks. I might be able to get away without mounting the tires. But if not...how much progress can I make on the entire build without mounting the gear?
A lot! The only thing to keep in mind is that you have to put the fuse on its back to drill the gear legs. You could do this, remove one or both of the legs, and then do just about everything else. Installing the gear legs with the fuselage upright would be slightly more difficult, but not a big deal.

Build on!