RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I don't have my plane on the gear yet, I am restoring a 7 x 16 flat bed trailer and wondered how wide the RV-8A wheels are and if they will fit. I measured between the side rails and I have 80" there so a little less than 7 feet. While I am doing the work on the trailer I want to fabricate extensions if they will be required. Thanks in advance. I am guessing tail model gear has a different dimension, I need the tripod dimension.

Cheer

data point

I don't have my plane on the gear yet, I am restoring a 7 x 16 flat bed trailer and wondered how wide the RV-8A wheels are and if they will fit. I measured between the side rails and I have 80" there so a little less than 7 feet. While I am doing the work on the trailer I want to fabricate extensions if they will be required. Thanks in advance. I am guessing tail model gear has a different dimension, I need the tripod dimension.

Cheer
Interesting question, Mike. Recently, I measured the centerline distance between the main wheels on my -6A (82") and noted the 6" difference between it and the (Grove Gear equipped) -8.

f3rvjq.jpg

8A

My 8A with wings installed, no engine. Outside tires measures 80" Outside of axle nuts would be closer to 82"
Gene

Just fits

Thanks Gene, I think it will just fit then, the axle nut will ride above the side rail so I just need the tire edges to fit within the side rails.

Cheers

wrecker

I've moved two RV's now using roll-back wreckers. Its MUCH easier than using a trailer. Just drop the deck in front of the airplane and winch it up.
The wheels fit nicely on the decks and can be tied to the deck hold down points.
Very safe and secure.