Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
I'll start.

The Name 'Borrowed Horse' came to me after reading about Paul Revere on the internet. He rode a borrowed horse on a ride to warn other patriots about the British regular army moving and the pending arrest of some the patiots.
We still need brave men today.

Last edited:
I haven't decided yet, but have a couple names in the Queue.

I worked in my Dad's Watch and Clock shop during high school, it was called the Goodtime Co. So I may honor my Dad by calling it "Goodtime".

an spinoff from that would be "Borrowed Time".

Two main reason's...

1. I'm far from finished but I know planes cost a "Pretti Penni" and
2. My paint scheme will have a new penny copper color to it.

I have this one on the back burner, "Bad Chicken". A previous co-worker saw what I was building and asked about it. After describing what the aircraft can do he simply stated "That's one bad chicken!" I'm thinking I want to put some small comic of a "Bad Chicken" somewhere. It'll always make me chuckle.

Last edited:
My wonderful girlfriend named my project Esmerelda, because she says that name "sounds kinda slutty, and you're always with her."

Sunshine's name...

involved yellow paint, and a flight with a beautiful woman in the back seat. Flying along a couple of days after finishing the paint, my pal Lee said, "she needs a name." I agreed. A few minutes later there were the sounds of quiet humming and singing in the intercom, then the simple statement "Sunshine!" It stuck.

SunshineOSH016.jpg

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The RV-6 was "Sojourner"...

...a British term, not much used here...the Apostle Paul would "Sojourn" in a town on his travels...'to spend nights away from home'....and that's what the -6 did.

The -10 is "Rapid Transit II" after my Cassutt F-1 racer I built in 1974, which was "Rapid Transit".

Best,

My list has narrowed to two:

1. "Patience" - my wife told me when I started the project that I do
not have enough patience to build a plane. Ha proved her
wrong.

2. "7 Year ..itch" - took me 7 years to build with QB wings and fuse. Some
days it was an itch others a #itch.

My plane name

Mine will be cloud chaser, because my dad liked to chase clouds in his-3, and since he has passed on,:( it is a fitting tribute to the man who took me flying for the first time, and got me hooked gor life!:D

Ours is...

"Vicious Cycle", painted in a circle on the vertical fin. Carol came up with it and figured it was an appropriate name after 8 builds, including a completely metallic paint job in 3 colors on this one, and an N-number of N10VC. :). Those of you who have painted with metallics can understand the frustration of seeing such a beautiful piece in the paint booth look so great and then look so ugly when placed next to a another piece on the airplane. So out comes the sandpaper and back into the paint booth. :(

Vic

My wife's ideas

My wife came up with a few joking ideas to name my RV-8. Ok, maybe they were only half-joking ideas. Since I have spent so much time (9 years) and money building she first said I should call it "The last straw". Later, when she saw how much I've really spent she said I should call it "The costly bi***" and use a dog as nose art.;) I haven't made any decisions yet, but I'm waiting for an FAA inspection.

RE:Fathers nick name.... BUZZ ....

My airplane is named after my father's nick name ... BUZZ ... The N number is N74BZ. BZ (Bravo Zulu) which I found out from one of our VAF folks in the Navy means Well Done.......I would like to think that it is my Dad's way of saying well done from his final resting place.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying and Tracken (MT-RTG)

Last edited:
I plan to call my -7A the "Streaker". Why? RVs are fast little airplanes, and the term is worth a chuckle (if one was around during the 70s).

Name of the plane

My RV 6A is called "My Girl" as well as my Harley. Both my ladies since I have no significant other.
My RV 8A is called "Toozicoot" an abriviation of an Indian name I saw in Arizona called Toozigut but forgot how it was spelled. Liked it so much I named a new cat that same name. And a little different.

Allan Stern

My Sanity

I started building the airplane during my first divorce. I finished the airplane after my second divorce.

Instead of chasing wild women and drinking beer, I worked on the airplane.

Now you know that I have "My Sanity" because building the airplane helped keep my head thinking about POSITIVE things.

Aurora Australis

Have only got the preview plans for my -9, but have already picked out the name for it...

Aurora Australis

Because the kit comes from Aurora and I'm in Australia. Coupled with that being the official name for the Southern Lights which I think are something really magical when you see them - something I'm hoping to feel for the RV too...:D

I patterned my paint scheme based on the P-51 known as "Slender,Tender & Tall" so I modified the name to suit my RV-4 to "Slender,Tender & small".

Glenn Wilkinson

"Son of Daphne"

In the early days American Legend Aircraft named each and every one of the Special Light-Sport Cub replicas that they built. The first one to use the Jabiru engine was named Daphne. This particular aircraft became a test bed for several mods they tried. The engine from that airplane now resides on the nose of my Bi-Plane, so I guess I will call it "Son of Daphne"!

"Special Delivery" and "Trouble"

I was in the uniform rental/sales business for many years, and from time to time I would use the company -8 to make a 'Special Delivery'... hence its name. I later stumbled across the 'real' Special Delivery at the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, TX. It's a PBJ-1J which is the Navy's designation for the B-25J Mitchell Bomber.

I have another bird in the oven and it will be christened "Trouble"... a tribute to my Dad and to one of his 1940 vintage runabout race boats. After looking at some of the old race photos of my Dad and talking with my Mom and older brother, he was apparently a force to be reckoned with and he let everyone know it. The name "Trouble" was painted in very large letters on each side of his runabout, and in the photos I can see the glean in his eyes and the look of confidence on his face. Not sure what boat racers said then when they took the lead... I'll be whispering "Check 6 Sucker", right after I pull the trigger.

Last edited:
I named mine ?Dilemma? for two reasons.

1) I have made so many mods to my airplane and everything has been affected by the first mod and so on. Things are very often complicated and in my head I find myself choosing the lesser of two evils.

2) Bonus: My niece?s name is Emma.

Here is the definition for the word ?Dilemma?.

-a problem offering at least two solutions or possibilities, of which none are practically acceptable

My daughter named our hot air balloon "Aria" and so I saw it fitting to name the rocket "Aria's Alter Ego".

Last edited:
The RV

I refer to mine as "The RV". I think it is a fitting name and am sure most people have named their RV the same.

Goodbye Girl

I'm thinking mine will be the "Goodbye Girl." A triple entendre for me, 1)referring to the time machine capabilities of the plane including the typical feminine gender of airplanes, 2) the original movie with Richard Dreyfuss was the first movie for my wife and I (she has been incredibly supportive), and 3) I'm building it in the year when my only wonderful daughter is getting married (to a good guy).

Might change, though.

I refer to mine as "The RV". I think it is a fitting name and am sure most people have named their RV the same.

Hey man, you can't use that name! It's mine, I used it first! But, I'll let it slide for now since sometimes I call it by the other pet name, "The Plane".

My RV-10 is N616JJ and is called "JuJu" after my youngest daughter, Julie. I tried to get a "N" number around my granddaughter's name but they were all taken. "JuJu" sounded catchy.

Calling mine "Nose Art"

I have a dear old friend who suggested calling mine "Nose Art". Simplifies what to paint on the nose! :)

So far - I really don't have a name - all of the candidates so far aren't PC...

Oh well, some time left.

Miss Boogie

My first granddaughter's nickname after she went from sitting on the floor in diaper and 2 short pigtails to crawling at warp speed in a week. I picked the name 18 years ago before I had decided on what to build.

-Vic
RV8 Fuselage

well here goes. my wifes initials before getting married were CAT, she was called cat by all her friends in high school. Now my kitfox I always called it kitty. So when I finished the RV I called it CAT. Now when I go fly I say I'm flying kitty today she knows or if I say I'm flying Cat she knows. Now when I go flying and fly both I tell the wife I'm going to fly KittyCat she knows that I'll be flying one for about 30minutes and than land and grab the other one and fly it for about 30 minutes. I love my KittyCat.

1 Sugar Charlie

I am the lucky owner of N601SC. Since I did not build her I thought I would pay a bit of tribute to the builder and keep the N #. The builder?s first name started with an ?S? and his last w/a ?C?. So with that my reply to ATC/Towers/Grounds and whoever is alway: ?One Sugar Charlie?