frankh

Well Known Member
What do most folks do for scales to weigh their airplanes. The 7a is going to need more than one bathroom scale under each wheel (I think?) and it sounds a bit innaccurate.

My local FBO has old fruit scales and can't confirm their accuracy either (plus I'm not totally happy about entrusting the baby to to the FBO) but they think they are pretty good...As long as tey have a way to safely lift the airplane I guess it might be OK.

Thoughts anyone?

Frank
&a...Wings and tail on for good

Contact your EAA chapter. My nearby chapter had a set of three calibrated digital scales, I borrowed em and was happy.

I did mine the old fashioned way(don't recommend it) I think my back still hurts from loading and unloading these scales into my pickup. 1114# if I added correctly.

13105039gj8.jpg

13105041gr7.jpg

13105043hi3.jpg

Scales

Hi Frank,
We used digital scales from a race car driver. Usually, the dirt track guys (especially the late model, high dollar) have a set of these, or rent them. Be sure that the airplane is level fore and aft and sideways, but mostly fore and aft, otherwise your weight and balance will be off. The leads of the digital scales are fed to the control box where you read each wheel AND the total airplane weight.

We jacked the airplane by screwing bolts into the tiedown holes after we'd cut the bolt heads off so they'd fit in the recess in the top of our bottle jacks. The digital scales will react to even a slight breeze so it has to be very calm if you're outside. In fact, we had to close our hangar doors because the breeze would make the scales deviate several pounds,
Regards,

WEIGHING YOUR AIRCRAFT

I havent used them yet but I went on ebay to bathroom scales. There is a outfit called Save on Scales that has bathroom scales that weigh 550 lbs. These are clamed to be very accurate, like .2%. They are about 1.5" high so should be easy to make some ramps to roll the plane onto them. We shall see.
RV-9A painting

Scales

Frank,

I don't think I can help you, but if there are other builders in the Northern Illinois and surrounding areas that are in need of scales, our local EAA Chapter 95 has just purchased a set of digital scales. We have several members building and finding scales is always a problem. We are willing to bring the scales to you to use for the cost of gas and a small donation to are chapter to help offset the cost.