whd721

Well Known Member
I am now starting to enter the Phase I flight testing/engine break-in period of my RV9A project. An iPad is still an option not required, as I can always see the airfield on my short leash.

I have added an iPad to the mix and am trying to decide where and how to mount it and use it. I have a Dynon Skyview as the primary screen and intend to use the iPad for traffic and weather.

Any tips or experiences on where and how to mount this thing to minimize glare ( seems to be a big problem) and still have it in a useful location?

I already had an older iPad air and the glare is terrible. Is the new iPad any better? Worth the cost?

Don't use it during Phase 1. Well at least for the first 20 hours. Concentrate on testing. You will have plenty of time later to play with this toy :)

Have to agree with Vlad. Just finished one of the online courses at AOPA safety foundation. (you get accident forgiveness on your insurance)
One of the topics was transition to a new E-AB aircraft. Many good pointers about what not to do and how to accomplish the task safely.
An iPad might present a distraction. I know I am swimming upstream on the topic in general, but I don't find them good aviation products in RV's. Too large and too much glare. The instruments sold by GRT, Dynon etc. are all brighter, better and fixed in place. I carry one and use it for pre-flight weather, airport information and more. I just don't find it that safe inflight.
Best of luck in those hours!

I agree with the "not in Phase I" points.

That is why I am exploring the mounting location for a future installation.

My only experience so far has been parked in front of the hangar making motor noises. I found the iPad to be marginal to useless in that location.

I was hoping someone had found a solution.

... Just finished one of the online courses at AOPA safety foundation. (you get accident forgiveness on your insurance)
One of the topics was transition to a new E-AB aircraft ...!
Not to hijack thread but which AOPA course did you find valuable in the E-AB transition?

It is called: Transitioning to other airplanes (iPad compatible)

Takes about an hour to complete and has different "tracks" you can select, depending on interest and situation. Good video clips are included from an RV4 that appears to belong to Hirschman, one of the staff writers.

A ten question (8 to pass) test is at the end. Without taking notes, I got all ten. Can't say that about some of the previous online courses.... they were a bit tricky.