jcoloccia

Well Known Member
In case anyone is wondering (I know it was a little confusing to me, at any rate), I had a couple of e-mails that went back and forth between me and Gus at Vans. Here's what he said...

1) doesn't matter if you go center to center on the holes, or to the edge of the holes. As he put it, "If you go to the edge of the holes, the only effect is that your stab will be one or two ounces lighter"... LOL...ok.

2) When you're done, the trailing edge should be nearly flush with the part you rivet through. I was concerned because this is how I trimmed mine, and they seemed awful floppy at the trailing edge considering they were "stiffeners", but he says that this is fine. It'll all work out once you close it up.

No one else seemed to be confused about how to trim these, but I was. I hope maybe this helps someone else out there that was wondering about this too.

I thought they seemed a little flimsy on the ends also. Sounds like that is just the way they are from the Van's answer you got. I trimmed mine with a big paper cutter after seeing a post from someone else who had done that. Worked great and was quick and straight.