markscogg

Well Known Member
Doug Bell Sr. posted something about making parts for attaching a towbar to a tailwheel. Sounded like the setup I'm using.

DAR's chime in on the best method for replacing the castle nut (the only problem with this system)

You use a longer axle bolt and make 2 bushings 3/8 x 5/8 x whatever length you want. I think I used 5/16 or 3/8 long.

Tried to use a castle nut, but the key stops the towbar from sliding on. My solution was a thin stop nut. Then a smaller key wrapped arround the axle.

When the Bell tailwheel fork arrives I will have to redo. Thinking of using a axle bole with no hole, and a full size all metal stop nut.

What do you think?

Of course, use at your on risk. Your tail wheel may fall off, your plane may explode, flip or just dissapear if you do this.

ltside1lf.jpg

rtside0bt.jpg

cessnadeluxtowbar3zx.jpg

tractoradapter4mi.jpg

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/6623/completepackage7it.jpg

Mark Scoggins
Flying -6

Mark,

I once saw a small lawn tractor, like you are using with some angle iron welded to the front of it, making a small cup. The guys would lift the tail and place the TW in the "cup" (Four pieces of angle iron really.) and bungee it in place. Then they would move it with the tractor.

This sounds a lot easier when there are tail handles on the plane. I'm not sure how you would lift the tail of an RV unless you added handles during construction.

Lifting the tail

Two friends with RV-4's just pick the plane up by the tailspring. (One has an old riding mower fixed up the way you describe.)
I can pick up my -6 by the tailspring, but it's hard. Maybe the weightlifters would say otherwise...
Mark

Tow Strap

Wrap a tow strap around the tailwheel shaft and yoke and hook it to whatever you want to tow. I have been towing tailwheel airplanes for years this way. I presently tow both my Cub and RV-9 this way with a golf cart, works great. N92GC

Towing/Lifting my -4

I made this towing bar to pull my -4 behind the car, when starting and taxing was not an option. It could be adapted to be pulled behind just about anything though.....

imgp4642ta9.jpg

imgp4644zd6.jpg

It also comes in handy to lift the airplane......Although not my idea and I can't recall who on this forum designed it (won an award at OSH ) but I adapted it to work in conjunction with the towbar......works real slick....

imgp4635ry8.jpg

imgp4637vt4.jpg

imgp4645sv2.jpg