lndwarrior

Well Known Member
Every tool, and every video, I've watched all show you how to compress the spark plug electrodes to reduce the gap.

I have new spark plugs and the gap is too small. What is the correct way (or tool to use) to spread the electrodes?

TIA
Gary

Every tool, and every video, I've watched all show you how to compress the spark plug electrodes to reduce the gap.

I have new spark plugs and the gap is too small. What is the correct way (or tool to use) to spread the electrodes?

TIA
Gary

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/electrodespreader.php

12-51520.jpg

The important thing is to never apply pressure against the center electrode.

Anyone use non-specialized tool for this?

Don't really want to wait 3 or 4 days until AS can send me this specialty tool...

I'm guessing someone has another solution that employs a typical tool or method I can use?

Thanks!
Gary

Gary the gap on new spark plug looks tight indeed but it's an illusion I wouldn't touch it. Measure you will see. The geometry of shiny new electrodes is different from the worn ones. Go fly with factory gaps and report back :)

So with this tool you slip it behind the ground electrode and pull on it - making sure not to contact the center electrode? Or?

Not exactly. Yes, slip it behind the ground electrode and then pry it up. The fulcrum is the threaded body of the plug adjacent to the electrode. So, it is not a "pull", it is actually a push on the handle.

Don't really want to wait 3 or 4 days until AS can send me this specialty tool...

I'm guessing someone has another solution that employs a typical tool or method I can use?

Thanks!
Gary

Hmm, the shape of this tool is quite specialized. Good luck. Order the tool so it is on the way just in case?

Last edited:
Not exactly. Yes, slip it behind the ground electrode and then pry it up. The fulcrum is the threaded body of the plug adjacent to the electrode. So, it is not a "pull", it is actually a push on the handle.

Hmm, the shape of this tool is quite specialized. Good luck. Order the tool so it is on the way just in case?

Took your advice and ordered the tool. Thanks for the response!