Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I would welcome a bit of advice.

At the moment my wings are in a wing stand. If I set and lock the aileron in the neutral position I could install the tip by aligning the trailing edges.

My question is would this be a mistake, and it better to wait until the wings are on for a trial fit, set up the flaps, ailerons and then do the tips? Would I end up with better alignement of everything?

Theory sais the first route should work just fine, but what about practice.......? I wonder if compromises are needed to get alignement.

Thanks

I'd wait, just in case things don't go as expected with wing mating and rigging. Also, the top surface of the tip (most visible) is a lot easier to work on when on the installed wing.

I did mine wingtips on the workbench with the airleron locked into the neutral position. The way I'm reading my instructions and plans (-8) the aileron in neutral position is the reference upon which to align both the tip and the flap. Sure hope that's right, cause I don't want to cut open the trailing edge of that tip again! :eek:

Steve,

Just as an additional datapoint, I did my wingtips in the wing stand. I set the ailerons up per the alignment holes and locked them in this position. I then mounted the tips to match the ailerons (from all accounts, I was one of the few people who's tips aligned perfectly, right out of the box), and then set up the flaps when the wings were mounted to the fuselage at the airport. This minimized the work I had to carry to the hangar (tips probably took a few evenings), and I found it pretty easy to work with the wings in the stands.

Steve Z's recomendation sure works too....

Paul