Vlad

Well Known Member
I did little maintenance today and once again discovered that a hinge pin holding main leg fairing backed off. How do you guys secure it?

securingthepin.jpg

Safety wire works

Drill a hole in the leg fairing and safety wire the pin to the inside of the fairing. It will be covered by the intersection fairing to the wheel pant. No problems on mine after 230+ hours.

Do the twist

Hey Vlad,
Kind of bend it back and around and around and make sure the tip is bent back so as not to be sharp which may pierce the leg. Once you do this and it looks like a spring you force it back in, not much force needed and the spring like tension keeps it in place.

Sorry no photos just my crappy description!!

Vlad,

I put mine in from the top on the 9A so it was a non-issue. When I converted to the 9, I eliminated the upper fairing (intersection is now a piece of rubber like the wing root) so had to put the pin in from the bottom. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the leg fairing, put a nutplate on a piece of hinge, put the hinge on the bent part of the pin, and screw a #6 screw into the nutplate through the fairing. A bit more complicated than the simple safety wire. And in either case, it is hidden by the lower intersection fairing.

greg

All good tips thank you. I would probably go easy-lazy :D

Greg btw do you still have your nose wheel upper leg fairing? If yes I would like to buy it.

Vlad,

I never bought (or used) the upper NW fairing, so sorry, I can't sell it to you! I'll sell you one of the main upper fairings and you could modify it...

cheers,
greg