RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Can someone please send me a picture showing how to run the Starter wire from the solenoid to the starter (OR maybe a good description). I can?t visualize it with Vans instructions and I don?t have another aircraft nearby now to check it out, and I want to ensure I do it right the first time. Preferably a side-by-side RV with a Carb or Vertical Fuel Injection.

What are the C-606 clamps Vans refer to attach this wire?

Regards
Rudi

ON MY 6A....

RudiGreyling said:
Hi Guys,

Can someone please send me a picture showing how to run the Starter wire from the solenoid to the starter (OR maybe a good description). I can?t visualize it with Vans instructions and I don?t have another aircraft nearby now to check it out, and I want to ensure I do it right the first time. Preferably a side-by-side RV with a Carb or Vertical Fuel Injection.

What are the C-606 clamps Vans refer to attach this wire?

Regards
Rudi
My starter sol. is under the master sol. that is to the right of the battery that is mounted on the passenger side but on the engine side of the firewall. I used welding cable, and ran it down the firewall and then curved it up to the motor mount and then along the oil pan bolts with adel clamps. Up at the front of the pan, it just curves around to the starter.
The cable goes past the alternator so I used the same clamps to carry the wire from the alt. to the battery. At the back of the motor, I ran the ground cable (also welding cable) from the motor, to the brass ground bolt that passes through the fireewall. It is located above the starter sol. so I ran that cable with the starter cable.

Try to run all of the FWF wires along a motor mount tube that ends in the corner of the firewall. And then pass through the firewall at that point. Don't just span the area from the engine to the firewall with wires..... like a spider web. It really makes it nice to work back there. Oil filter, mags etc. etc.

If you still need some pictures, let me know...... :D
Warren

This routing is not super critical

All you want to do is connect the starter solenoid to the starter so that it can pass a high current with minimum voltage drop to the starter one time before each engine run. The wire needs to be a heavy gauge and it needs to be supported so that the desired routing is maintained, the large relative motion between the engine and the fuselage is not applied to the terminals and there is no relative motion between the wire and the firewall itself. A service loop providing some slack between the last clamp supporting points and the terminals is necessary to allow for retermination and relieve the terminal stress. The location of starter and master solenoids is arbitrary so I do not know where yours are - mine are on opposite sides of the left upper structural member extending from the firewall to the instrument panel. you need to complete any lateral routing inside the cockpit to enable the wire to penetrate the firewall and go fairly straight to the starter on the forward side of the firewall. The supporting is the tricky part in the engine area. I use two forms of butterfly clamping. One is just the standard bolting two clamps together at the their mounting points and the other is modified by an interconnecting angle. This is useful when two items such as the wire and an engine mount member are parallel where the clamp on the round engine mount tube supports the round wire in the other clamp. However, most possible support points such as the induction tubes, do not align with the required wire routing. To use these support points I took aluminum angle (1/16"x3/4"x3/4" from Aircraft Spruce) and sawed off many 1/2" crossection peices and drilled mounting holes in each leg. The appropriate size clamp is installed on the support member like the induction tube (never the exhaust pipes of course) and one of the angles is bolted to it to provide a mounting plane for the wire support clamp that will accommodate any direction the wire has to go. For my starter wire I supported it with a standard butterfly clanp off of the engine mount and two modified butterfly clamps off of the induction tubes to cylinders 2 and 4.

Bob Axsom

starterwire1ln4.jpg

starterwire2xu5.jpg