ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
After 12 years of flying I’m finally getting my plane painted in November and I’m fixing some nagging issues.

I intentionally left the fiberglass eyebrow that covers the gap between the windshield and the slider long. It overhangs the slider farther than the 1/4” to 1/2” inch that the drawing specifies. My thought was to slowly cut it shorter as time went on but I flew instead. All these years of flying has not been kind to this fiberglass as the longer moment arm made the bond more susceptible to errant knees etc. when entering and exiting the aircraft.

The bond between the fairing has been compromised and I have been scratching my head as to how to rebond it. I was thinking of laying a piece of tape down on the windshield to protect it then injecting epoxy into the debonded area between the fiberglass and the plexiglass. I am able to flex the fiberglass a bit in order to fit a needle in the gap I think.

Here is where my overthinking comes in to play. I’ll need to remove the tape while the epoxy is still wet so it doesn’t bond to it. I am worried that while it’s curing some epoxy will still run down the windshield and solidify. I would of course run a new piece of tape here before letting it sit overnight but now I’d be back to the worry of bonding the tape in place if any epoxy dripped and oozed out of the bond area.

Also, what is the best way to remove wet epoxy from plexiglass?

Any thoughts or experience with this?