Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Subject says it all...seems like they're attached with some sort of tension/spring fit. I am thinking about removing them in order to:
- remove debris that I believe is down there (from baffle trimming)
- drill holes in bottom for baffle-attach safety wire

And how to reinstall -- looks like there's some RTV down along the bottom fins? (installed by Aerosport)

Naturally if this is a risky or difficult thing I'll find other ways to accomplish the above.

When I was at Mattituck to have my engine built, they had a slick tool to install those silly things...John told me to "watch close", becaue it happened in the blink of an eye....not sure I could duplicate the magic!

Paul

A "tiny" meat hook is what it looks like.....

I've used a pair of vise grips. Grab at the top of the curve and pull.

Takes about 10 seconds after you've done it a time or two!

Use safety wire

Just slip a piece of safety wire under the hook. Clamp your safety wire pliers to it and as you pull up, push the cross bar down and to the side. Very simple and fast.

Perform the above procedure in the reverse order to re-install.

Karl

My method is similar to Karl's. Use safety wire but I also use a length of wood dowel as a lever. Wrap the safety wire around the center of the dowel. One end of the dowel on the cylinder base or on the case and then use it as a lever to pull up on the hook. This allows you to either install or remove the intercylinder baffle easily.
Works for me and no special tools required. You can even reuse the safety wire.

watch carefully - blink - done....

The tool (and John) that Paul was talking about -
Web_Img_4601.jpg

(I really should get those words sorted.... http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/enginebuild1.html#ID2685
)

Carl

Last edited: