alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me how to remove the external fan from the 35A 14814 alternator vans used to sell? I may have some cowl clearance issues if I leave the fan on. I believe I know how to get the pulley off, but am wondering if the fan is integral to the pulley or are they 2 separate parts? If the latter, will I need to add a spacer to take up the space on the shaft where the fan used to be? Thanks.

Last edited:
And you shouldn't need an extra spacer, as the fan is quite thin.. depends on how pedantic you are :)

Great. Thanks!

It's nice to have someone in Australia here! That way I can post a question at night and have an answer waiting for me when I wake up! :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Not sure removing the fan is a good idea. Even when used backwards, they still provide airflow, albeit more lmited. I promise you that if it wasn't necessary, they would not have put it there.

Your diodes and rectifier bridge (all alternators have them) are sensitive to heat and excess heat will shorten their life substantially. This is why generators don't have/need fans; No electronic components in them.

Larry

Last edited:
Not sure removing the fan is a good idea. Even when used backwards, they still provide airflow, albeit more lmited. I promise you that if it wasn't necessary, they would not have put it there.
Your diodes and rectifier bridge (all alternators have them) are sensitive to heat and excess heat will shorten their life substantially. This is why generators don't have/need fans; No electronic components in them.
Larry

A small blast tube to the back of the alternator will take care of component cooling.

Larry
Probably true, theoretically, Larry. That said, when Van's sold them they sold them without the fans, but recommended a blast tube. Other users also report good service life without the fans, with or without blast tubes. We'll see how it goes for me. Even if I have to replace it preventatively every couple years, it's till only $20 for a newly overhauled one! :D

Probably true, theoretically, Larry. That said, when Van's sold them they sold them without the fans, but recommended a blast tube. Other users also report good service life without the fans, with or without blast tubes. We'll see how it goes for me. Even if I have to replace it preventatively every couple years, it's till only $20 for a newly overhauled one! :D

I'm sure it's fine with a blast tube; Didn't realize you were doing that. You just have to somehow remove the heat that builds up to protect the diodes and rectifiers.

Larry