avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hi all
Time for the 500 hr inspection on my Slicks.
Since I have never pulled mags before I thought I would ask if there were any "tricks," things to avoid, things to pay particular attention to, etc.
Have LYC D1A O-320.
Have not been able to find a good source of info for this job other than a brief note on the Slick site.
Would appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks.

Peter K
RV9A

If you have never done this, and do not have the e gap tool or the timing tool, you might want to find an AP or friend how has.

Simple

Peter. Just remove the brackets that hold them
in place and pull them out. No tricks or surprises.
Get them inspected by a pro.
Putting them back in requires attention to detail.
That is also very easy with Slicks. Get a pin to roughly
Set the timing. Left turning mag, left hole with the pin. Pull the top plugs all cylinders. Rotate prop
In direction of rotation, determine compression stroke on #1 cylinder. Put your thumb on the hole and rotate the prop 4 cycles to make sure. It will be clear.
Keep rotating until BTC Marks line up if you have them. Mine is 25 deg. Insert the mags,
Tighten brackets slightly, remove the pin and you are roughly timed.
Use a timing light to fine tune. If you have an impulse mag, keep rotating
The prop until it clicks, back the prop beyond the Mark, than turn in direction
Of rotation to line up the marks. Turn your ignition switch to both. Loosen the mag nuts and twist them until they both Fire at the same time on your BTC Mark. Do the left mag first and tweek the right. Both should fire simultaneously on your BTC Mark. One more thing, put a mark on the cap and mag before you take off the wire
Harness.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I will be sending the mags off for inspection and will NOT be dealing with any internal components or internal timing.
I will have an A&P assist with installation and timing of the mags once they have been returned.
I was mainly interested in any potential issues with their removal.
Seems pretty straightforward but would appreciate any other comments.
Thanks again.

There will be BIG HOLES in the accessory case when you take the mags out. DO NOT drop anything like a nut in there (ask me how I know). Make covers out of some material like press board or even cardboard and fasten them over the holes for the duration that the mags are off.