Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
How did you protect wires that loop over the control stick bracket? Here's a picture of where I'm referring to.

ZX3y4E2.jpg

Thanks,
Michael-

Not clear enough for me to tell exactly where your problem is, but generally the wires can be routed through snap bushings and don't interfere with the control stick. If you have PTT and other wires coming out the bottom of the stick, if you leave a bit of slack, they'll just rest on the floor of the fuselage and not be in the way or get rubbed.

Greg

Greg,
Took me a minute to figure it out.
He's talking about the wires laying against the bracket that is dead center in the image.

I did not use that path for any wires or tubing, pretty much because of the issue in the image.

For exactly the problem you have identified, I did not use the holes Van's had drilled in my quick build 7 seat ribs. I couldn't see how to get the wires around that flange and they were too close to the control column.

I drilled my wire holes aft of the large rib hole that the control stick is in. My holes are about a half inch off the floor skin at about the 5 o'clock position looking from the left side of the plane. That puts the wires aft of the control column.

If you don't want to re-route your wires, one thing I have used to protect things is to take a short (2 inch) length of clear plastic tubing and slit it lengthwise and slip it over the wire bundle, then put a tie wrap on it.

OK, I see the issue now. Yes, spiral wrap or something similar should do the trick. I used spiral wrap several places where I was concerned about rubbing. I also used it in the center tunnel to keep all my wires together in a neat single bundle.

Greg

mesh wire covering

I put that nylon mesh wire covering. The only wires I had going over this are from the stick which is PTT and Trim Servo so I think the mesh will do.

have fun

I used a bunch of these stand offs on the bottom of the fuse throughout. Secured from the bottom of the airplane once. Then inside you can just screw your adel clamps to them and you can service and support the wires. I forget where I got them from but its something like this.

103-0007.jpg

I used a bunch of these stand offs on the bottom of the fuse throughout. Secured from the bottom of the airplane once. Then inside you can just screw your adel clamps to them and you can service and support the wires. I forget where I got them from but its something like this.

103-0007.jpg

ACE Hardware has them...