Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
Just curious how people get shiny roll bars (FWIW, I am building a -4). Chrome/polish/aftermarket vendor? I searched the forums but was unable to find any info on this.
Thanks,
Eric

Chrome roll bar

The roll bar is carbon steel. A polished roll bar will rust very quickly. If you insist on plating, consider nickel, especially electroless nickel. Not as shiny as chrome but still nice. If you do chrome, preferrably talk to an aviation plater, they will know to do a bake after the plating to eliminate the hydrogen embrittlement. If using an automotive or industrial plater, make sure they know to bake after plating. You will probably want a triple plate of copper/nickel/chrome.

Consider the sunlight reflections from a chrome bar. I don't think your backseater will enjoy this and it might even reflect forward onto your instrument panel.

I'm staying with the grey powdercoat that Van's supplies for this reason.

Powder coat?

I agree that the roll bar looks extra nice with some detail, but getting too shiny is an issue. Would you consider doing a nice powdercoat instead of polishing? They have some really nice looking semi-mettalic powder coats.

My $.02...nickel plating is the way to go. Powder coat or paint won't last as people use the rollbar to get in/out and scratch them up with jewelry. Nickel plating is matte and I'd argue it reflects less than a light-color painted surface. A friend of mine has a shiny chrome rollbar in his RV-4 and he never notices the reflections. I had a few reflections in my -6 and I really never noticed them until I was looking for the reflections in the canopy.

Thanks guys

A big thank you to everyone who responded. I'll do a bit more research based on all of your comments.
Eric

My -4 has a chromed roll bar, that way when I bought it. If you live in the south, or west (or anywhere the sun gets stuff hot), you might want to consider the effects on your hands if you use the roll bar for support as you enter or exit the plane. I can testify that chrome does not reflect heat as well as white paint/powder coat.

Charlie