matt

Well Known Member
My project is currently in 'QB' stage and I need to move from NY to CA...
Can anyone recommend a way to do this? It is only the project that is to be moved..

Thinking of everything from buying a 22" trailer and drive it myself (50 hours or so of driving...), call a shipping company (best offer so far is $3000...) or maybe rent a 40" container and stuff everything inside and call a trucker etc (haven't dugg into that yet)

Does anyone have a suggestions on the easiest and/or best way to do it? I like the idea of having it shipped but $3000 is a bit on the heavy side. Did I call the wrong company or is it a fair quote?

You might call Tony Partain. His add is listed on this site. I'm not sure if he comes to that area but if he were delivering a kit in your area it might be simple and less expensive for him to swing by and pick up your plane as opposed to dead heading back empty.

Just a possibility.

The number

Here is Tonys' phone number..... (514)-330-0828

Hope this works out.

Donald Prater
RV-8 Empennage
N284DP (reserved)

OK, so I called Tony. Since more specifically the kit is currently in CT his permits does not stretch that far but MAYBE I could arrange for the first transport into states he serves if he has a shipment going that direction. It is not very far in miles measured so it would be rather easily done.

Since I am not to fond of "maybe" in this case: Any other ideas around?
I don't need it moved straight away but I need to make a decision soon on how it will eventually be arranged.

jcoloccia said:
Does he serve NY? I'm pretty sure he does PA. Why not just rent a big U-Haul and drive it to PA?

-john

That was one option yes. But it is still a "maybe" since he didn't know if he would be going to PA soon. I will need a quote from Tony as well before knowing for sure as well.

It might work out with Tony, but I don't know. So I wanted to check other options. Last time I moved a 40" container coast to coast that was a $700 affair so I am pretty convinced there is better ways out there then the $3000 one I have so far.

Temp permits

Can't he obtain temp permits? I used to haul steel on flatbed tractor-trailers and my company did it all the time. I don't know that cost but I remember my dispatcher saying it wasn't much. Something like $45 for a 3-day permit. Basically long enough to let you pickup/deliver in a state you didn't normally pay fuel taxes in.

Last weekend I helped a friend of mine pack up his project in a U Haul trailer truck. (He was relocated by the air force.) It took us (3 people) about 3 1/2 hours to load up everything, including his tools and he made the trip with out consequence. He did pretty much have everything packed up in boxes when we got there to load, but I was surprised at how easy it was to load and secure the plane. (The wings are in a cradle and the fuselage was on the gear.)