tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Fuse is now at the airport, and I need to get the wings there. It seems like it is doable in my full-size pickup. Have others done it this way? If so, did you move them in the cradle, or lay them down in the bed in some fashion? Or, did you move them one at a time?

Curious if others can share description or pictures of how you moved the wings. Planning to get them out there tomorrow!

Thanks,
Scott
7A

We moved Ben's RV-8 wings & fuse to the airport today. Wheeled the cradles up onto a flatbed car-hauler trailer & strapped them down, and it worked like a charm. Just make sure the wings can't slide out the end or tip off the cradle. :eek:

I just did this a few weeks ago but apologize for not having any photos of the event.

We left the wings in the cradles and first we secured the cradles to the flatbed trailer with ratchet straps.

Then wrapped the wings together with more straps to (essentially) squeeze the center post of the cradle between them. No problems at all, even at highway speeds.

Around some of the edges where the straps could bend and deform the wing skins we used some rolled up blankets and towels as a buffer between the strap and the skin.

It really did work great and if I had it to do again I wouldn't change anything.

Phil

Pictures...

Hi All,

Fuse is now at the airport, and I need to get the wings there. It seems like it is doable in my full-size pickup. Have others done it this way? If so, did you move them in the cradle, or lay them down in the bed in some fashion? Or, did you move them one at a time?

Curious if others can share description or pictures of how you moved the wings. Planning to get them out there tomorrow!

Thanks,
Scott
7A

784899060_b537x-S.jpg

The EAA wing stand in the rental utility trailer.
784897720_EtQAc-S.jpg

Covered trailer

I hauled mine in a covered U-Haul trailer.... didn't want to risk wind and flying roadway debris damage. One day rental is cheap insurance.

1-Trailer.jpg