claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm not talking about the ratio (10:1) or the scale (digital kitchen), I'm talking about the actual stirring until you get a consistant grey mixture. I tried it mooshing (yes, that's the technical term!) it around inside a baggie hoping to avoid a mess, but basically glued the bag shut while it was still all black and white. My next thought would be either inside a dixie cup or perhaps on a piece of aluminum foil.
Here I've finally gotten past all my fears of this stuff and I can't do the basics!
I love the smell of MEK in the morning!
Clay Cook
sealing the tanks of the "Cookie Monster"
N801CM reserved

Porcelain Tile

I mix it on a piece of 12" x 12" polished porcelain tile. Also comes in 6? x 6? and 8? x 8.? I don?t' bother cleaning it off after use. When it cures just peal it off with a razorblade right into the waste basket. It takes three or four blade swipes in about 10 seconds. Quarter inch glass with sanded edges also works well. I obtained the porcelain tile from Home Depot. They gave it to me as a sample. Works great. I?ve mixed polyester body filler on it also. I zero out the scale with the tile on it. Then, putty knife on the Chemseal or equivalent. Just like artists mix paint on a pallet.

Polished porcelain tile ? a must have mixing tool!!!

I also was concerned with mixing until I actually did it. I used a small yogurt cup with the wide mouth. It was plenty big enough (you definitely want to mix small batches at a time). I used a couple of Popsicle sticks but any thing solid and stable can be used. Since the stuff will just peel off once it cures you could even use a kitchen spoon (maybe you should buy a cheap one rather than take one from the kitchen). At any rate it is really not as big a deal as I made it out to be. I will use a very old NIKE marketing slogan here that some of you surely remember.

JUST DO IT! (insert Nike swoosh icon here)

Clear plastic cups from the grocery store and popsicle sticks from the craft store. This way you can see how uniformly it is mixed from all angles (no white globs in the corners).

060806_009.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!

Seriously, the next best thing to formating with all you guys in the (hopefully) not too distant future, is the quick and to-the-point help available at a moments notice. My respect for the homebuilders who did this pre-internet knows no bounds.
Clay Cook
back to the basement!

After mixing put the proseal in...

I got a tip from an AME friend who uses proseal all the time...
Buy yourself a couple of 30ml hypodermics from your local farm CO-op (You wont find that size in a pharmacy I dont think)
Drill out the tip where the needle would be attached to about 3/16", pull out the plunger and push in the proseal into the large opening with a popsicle stick (Actually pretty easy to do)
The syringe contents is just about perfect for one rib worth of proseal...Also works great as a caulking gun after the Rib is in place.

Wait for the proseal to set and pull out the remains from the syringe..it doesnt stick to it.

Easy to control, and gets into tight spots....wish I'd used them from the beginning.

I cut the bottom out of a few plastic milk or white clorox bleach plastic bottles (the quart size works best, btw). Mix in one of the square corners. You can cut the waste plastic into small knife shapes, if you want, to stir or to make a flexible applicator that wipes a bead very effectively. The flat bottom also is stable on the bench or waiting in the freezer.

I prefer plastic to paper or wood with resins- easier to form into the needed applicator shape, to work a resin bead on the part, or to wipe off. Once the proseal cures, just pull out the film and use the plastic again.

I am cheap, so I save the plastic cups accumulated from fast food places. Just cut them down and you have free mixing cups. I mix the stuff up with some spruce cap strip scraps I have left over from my wood airplane building days. I just stir and "moosh " until it all turns a uniform color.

For small areas, you can spread the proseal using a coffee stirring stick, obtainable at various donut and coffee shops.

For me, mixing in a plastic bag didn't work too well - lots of waste. I did use that method for spreading out the proseal to set the baffle plate, but a lot of sealent was left in the bag that I just couldn't get to squeeze out.

I tried to be thrify with the proseal, but I still had to buy a second quart of the stuff.