Don't quote me on this, but I believe in about 3 months, they will be starting to test the prototypes in a couple of weeks on to make sure there are no issues.

Cheers
Eddie

I assume he can do the cutouts for a Hartzel prop and the backplate is included? If so, I want one.

That is really cool. I love watching a craftsman do their work. I'm sure that's a case of a very good tradesman making something complicated look way too easy.

Hi Guys,

Yes he is making them to suite both the Sensenich and Hartzel props and they will have the cutouts. Allan was at my place on the weekend making a template for the Senenich prop and he has another friend at hsi local airport that has the Hartzel on his RV7.

Cheers
Eddie

Hi Guys,

You'll have to post questions to Allan himself, I am not associated with the company and just posted the video because I thought I was really interesting and also because I plan on getting a spinner when they are ready for sale.

http://www.cumminsspinners.com

Gets you to the website and I am sure there is a contact option there.

Cheers
Eddie

Are there any actual advantages to an aluminum spinner in comparison to a composite one?

Great video, and they sure do look spiffy when polished. I would imagine I could blind a few people with one.

Are there any actual advantages to an aluminum spinner in comparison to a composite one?

Maybe, it's why my plane seems to go faster! :)

But, unless that's the real trick, which I doubt............I don't see any actual advantage. I just like the looks of polished aluminum, or a chromed fiberglass spinner.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

No real advantages as far as I know except for the good looks if polished aluminium does it for you

Cheers
Eddie

Hi All
I am Allan the owner of Cummins Spinners please note the Alum spinners is only starting the R&D it will 2 to 3 mths before it is released
I will start a web page to keep you all updated as to the progress of the spinner
At this stage please do not email me with orders as I am not taking orders at this stage
the web site is www.cumminsspinners.com
cheers
Allan

No real advantages as far as I know except for the good looks if polished aluminium does it for you
Cheers
Eddie

Of course, everybody knows that shiny metal parts make you go faster :D

The process was fascinating... I had no idea they were spun on a lathe like that.

Any update on the spinner?

John

PS I note no one in US will ever find this thread in a search as aluminium is spelt correctly in the thread title! Skould make "aerofurb" (Jerry Parr) happy!

Aluminum Spinners tend to come apart sometimes!

Beautiful craftsmanship!

Some downsides:
My 6A had an aluminum spinner like these. I loved it and kept it carefully polished. After 100-150 hours it began to develop small cracks which rapidly grew to become unsafe. Never had any issues with the fiberglass ones.

This week my hangar neighbor taxied in with his twin Comanche. His store-bought aluminum polished spinner had let go during flight and self-destructed.

The oldest A&P/IA on our field told me a host of problems he had encountered over his many years of doctoring aircraft.This included major aircraft damage when they separated.

It's not all roses!

This week my hangar neighbor taxied in with his twin Comanche. His store-bought aluminum polished spinner had let go during flight and self-destructed.

Interesting. I too know a Comanche pilot/owner that had the same exact thing happen a couple of years ago -- except he only felt a slight jolt and didn't know what had happened until they got on the ground.

Aluminum spinners - don't let them vibrate!

I've been through 2 polished aluminum spinners on my 6. The first one lasted about 40 hours before it developed large cracks. It wasn't the spinner's fault - it was mine. I tried to cheat and not install the screws on the forward bulkhead under the spinner. Instead, I tried to shim that bulkhead and install it tight against the aft one. It was all for aesthetic reasons, and it didn't work. The vibrations caused the spinner to crack and it was ready to come apart when I replaced it.

After installing the 2nd one correctly, I've had no problems for the next 400 hours. Just install it very tight and avoid vibration and it will likely be fine. Fiberglass is a bit more tolerant, I think.

Cheers,

Hi All
I am Allan the owner of Cummins Spinners please note the Alum spinners is only starting the R&D it will 2 to 3 mths before it is released
I will start a web page to keep you all updated as to the progress of the spinner
At this stage please do not email me with orders as I am not taking orders at this stage
the web site is www.cumminsspinners.com
cheers
Allan

Any updates on one for a 7? I'd still consider using it, although I'm fast approaching installing the prop and spinner for good (made mine "screwless").