ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I have what used to be an O-320 B2B. I changed the sump to one that didn't come on a B2B. I now have an experimental engine with no data plate. What do I list this engine as on the FAA application?

O-320 B2B?
O-320 B2B EXP?
O-320 B2B modified?

I sent this question off to the FAA inspector but no response yet. I want to have one of the required forms notorized in the morning.

Thanks.

I think...

If you didn't make a change that just changes the engine to some other version of a Lyc (that has type certificate data), then you truly have a one-off engine of your own making.

Don't use a Lyc data plate. I don't believe that any data plate is required, but you may get some push back from some DARs and the easiest course may be to attach one. Relative to the old data plate - note FAR 45.13.

As to the manufacturer - it's you. The model is whatever you want to call it; although, O-320 is probably not a bad idea. Serial number - it's up to you. HP - up to you; using the same as the O-320-B2B would make sense.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions. YMMV.

Dan

Pick a name.

Make it Arvniner 0-320 if you please.

We made ours a Smith/Morgan 0-360 since we majored it and weren't licensed A&P's. DAR was happy.

Best,

I had the same question sort of...I have, or had, a IO 360 A1A certified lycoming, it now has dual pmags. Does the pmags now make this an experimental and if so do I have to remove the lycoming data plate and make up my own?

That's actually a good question. If you've done nothing else and you unbolt the P-mags, then yes it is an IO-360-A1A with no ignition installed. With the P-mags installed it no longer conforms to the TC. The approved magnetos are called out in the TC, as are spark plugs. I've never seen anyone MAKE you remove a dataplate from a similar engine. Do AD's apply? Consult your magic 8 ball.

not sure if this helps but, my experimental from lycoming thunderbolt has a serial # of EL-41036-36E. model o-360-EXP make lycoming. that is off the certificate.

Fom 337

How about O-320 Clone? I did the same thing and was planing to send in a form 337. That would allow me to get Lycoming to supply a new data plate.

IO-360-B1E to IO-360B1B

The possible issue is some documents say you can not turn in a 337 until the unit is installed in an airworthy airframe. Kind of the chicken/Egg situation for a new aircraft :rolleyes:

I plan to use 'clone' then worry about the 337 and data plate later

337 form?

Experimentals dont require a 337 form.

Also, I have heard of folks being required to remove the engine data plate stating it was a Lycoming "so and so" for the very reason it couldn't be used again on a Type certified aircraft. The inspectors required it at the time of inspection and issuing an airworthiness cert.