RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am at the point where I need to level the fuselage to mount the tail feathers. My question concerns leveling in pitch. I can lay a level over the longerons and the center section and don't have more than a 0.1 degree difference.

In the pitch axis I get a difference in the forward measurement at the longeron. If I lay the level (digital) on the rail the measure is different than if I lay the level on top of the actual longeron which is angled due to the twist put into the upper longeron.

So do I level at the wide part of cockpit rail (don't have plans so I don't have the part number) or do I level based on the actual longeron. Or should I just level in pitch at the center spar!.

Any other hints on measuring and drill the tail feathers would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Mike-
Not sure about the -8, but on the side by sides the place you measure for level pitch is where the canopy rails will go. It's the aft canopy deck for us and there should be no longeron twist at that location. I would suspect it would be the same for the -8, but could be mistaken.
good luck.

Here's what I did to get it nice and level in pitch as well as roll.

3_level_pitch.jpg

Level

Here's what I did to get it nice and level in pitch as well as roll.

3_level_pitch.jpg

What Wicked Stick has done will average out any twist or misallignment and is a great idea.

I picked one spot on the right canopy rail, marked it and always used this same spot for all fuselage leveling. I figured there would always be some differences from one side to the other side so I did Craig Vance's quote and chose one spot and stuck to it!

Do as Wicked Stick did and all will be well.

I agree. This is a good method. Just remember to use the same method every time.

3_level_pitch.jpg

If you look closely, at the above picture I lined the levels up against the black cleco's. When the time comes to level it in the future, I will place the levels in the same locations (where those holes/screws will be).

In Hindsight, I suppose I could have placed the canopy tracks/rails on first and then put the levels on top, but I think what I have will do just fine.

I ended up with the levels on the top of the longerons being exactly the same as the level on the main wing spar center section so it's all good.
Not bad for a "slow build" kit. (I think I missed getting one of the new match drill kits by about 9 months.)
wing_fuse_levelmatch.jpg

Last edited:
Great Help

Thanks for all the posts, I guess I can't put off drilling the tail feathers now.

Cheers