leaker311

Hey guys, I am taking flight testing my tailwheel -7 to the next level meaning that it is time to fly this bad boy in the dark.

Before I am attempting to get it back on the deck for that very first time I would like to see if there is anyone out there who is willing to chime in with tips, pointers, techniques, experiences etc etc

This is not my first night rodeo... but it IS in an RV!

I did the obvious stuff, adjust lights, sit in a dark cockpit to get the feel, and adjust the cabin lights. I am going to start flying when I still have some daylight and then slowly work my way over to the dark side.

What am I missing? What can I expect? 3 pointer for that very first time or wheel it on? I have the DW leading edge lights with 100W bulbs so hopefully that is enough illumination.

thanks!

Marco

Been there

Flew mine in the dark for the first time not that long ago. It was pretty much a non-event. If you have EFIS screens make sure they go dim enough and you know how to dim them.

My panel is full of analog instruments except for my portable gps. With a red light on the roll bar behind my head (tip-up) I had no illumination problems. I was expecting poor performance from the little 55watt duckworks lights, but found it adequate on landing.

Really only one minor annoyance on the whole flight that was entirely my own fault, I chose to fly my airplane in the dark for the first time on the 4th of July.

There just had to be one person launching fireworks off the approach end of the runway. I shouldn't have been surprised and I don't "think" a firework could really cause a major problem, but it sure felt like I was being shot at when a big starburst thing exploded underneath me at 500feet on approach with no warning. :eek:

Otherwise, the plane landed same as it does in the daylight. In hindsight, I think practicing a few landings in the dark at a larger, more well-lit runway would have been a good idea.

Hope that helps!

I did the obvious stuff, adjust lights, sit in a dark cockpit to get the feel, and adjust the cabin lights. I am going to start flying when I still have some daylight and then slowly work my way over to the dark side.

Toss in a full moon and have fun........................:)

Just did this for the first time 2 weeks ago in my 7A. Your plan sounds like mine and the one "DOH!" was forgetting that just before sunset, at LVK, the sun sits right on the departure end of the runway:eek:

If you have AOA on the glareshield it might be too bright, even dimmed. In mine, if I had been flying for a while at night and came in to land with the LEDs starting to illuminate and accumulate with increasing AOA. Maybe a little piece of neutral filter material of some sort...? Really no big deal though..

Have fun. It's very peaceful and I've always liked having no trouble spotting other plane's lights at night:D

Jeremy Constant

thanks!

Copy, stop worrying and go have fun!

Thanks guys, I do have the tendency to overthink things. It actually reached a point where my next hangar door neighbor just lets out a deep sigh, shakes his head, and walks off in silence whenever I express my concern for something. :rolleyes:

Did not think about the moon though, good point.

Thanks again for all the help!

Marco

night flight

You need to get a little dual from an instructor proficient at night. Also be aware that you may be required to use the instruments for attitude as the horizon may be confused by land lights and star shine.

Another Idea

Just to throw another idea out there, why not get up REALLY early and go shoot your landings in the dark. If all goes well, great. If not, go orbit for a half an hour and wait until dawn.

Oh, and a full moon is referred to as a "Field Grade Moon" since that's when all the Field Grade officers usually get their night quals.:)

Good idea Tim. Would relieve some apprehensiveness.

Our runway has very bright REIL's that activate with the runway lights. I wish would go away.
I duck my head behind the dash so as to only see the runway and block the strobes. an un-planned annoyance the first time.