flyboy1963

Well Known Member
....searched to no avail!

my sticky labels next to the fuel caps are starting to fail, and I wondered where the spec is that says " must display the fuel type and quantity" etc.

mainly, if running a 7.5:1 Lycosaur, should I be putting
" Min. octane 80 " in red, instead of "100LL only" in blue????
( apparently they don't call it 80/87 anymore, even if you could find some!)

anyone know what the Canadian regs are?

thanks anyone who can direct me to the info.

I used a permanent adhesive label on my RhinoPro and put it right on the caps. 150 plus hours, no issues.
CNC engraving is the elegant solution.

What to print on gas cap labels? Regulations?

Hijacking my own thread! ...good points on some very nice caps; I am also thinking of the legal requirement, somewhere in the regs it must have something! ? :)

I had a neighbor that cuts custom vinyl cut my fuel warning rings for my spam can. Outdoor grade and have had no peeling issues for the last 4 years.

This would be the same vinyl some strip their planes with...it holds up well.

I can design some up and have them cut for you if you like. I just need to know size and desired warning text.

the text is the thing!

Hey Jason,
if I ever find out the correct text, I'll be a happy guy.
I sit here in a shop surrounded by vinyl cutting plotters and larget format digital printers, but appreciate your offer to provide them..... ( I'd feel really bad about taking you up on that offer!) :)

Regs

Perry, if you don't have any luck finding the answer here, contact your local MD-RA office or with your local RAA.
I just imported a RV6 last year and don't recall any requirement and therefore did not put anything on my caps.

Sorry I don't have a definite answer, Al

getting warm!

good points,
Seth and Al,
no wonder no two aircraft are labelled the same.!

Seth, thanks for the TC verbage...I can never find the right page there.....funny why the capacity would be on the tank anyway???...just a hint for fuelers not to pull too hard on the 500 gpm trigger?
Hmmmmm.......
I think I'll go with something like ' Min. 80 octane - 18 USG - 68 Litres capacity.
(why would I say avgas when the engine can and has run on any mogas?)

The labels are for the part-time line-guy/gal who has an extremely limited knowledge of aviation:

What type of fuel?

How much? US Gallons? Liters, or is that litres?

The old "KISS" principle.

fueller respect....

one would hope the line people would have taken a course.... and are intimately familiar with all the considerations of aircraft-to-nozzle bonding, tank capaciaty, fuel grades, etc.
......right.
most places the line guys/gal hands me the nozzle and assumes that I want to do it myself...which is preferable, especially if it avoids the last gallon ending up on the wing! I only let Al, the expert fueller at YYF do the filling; makes us both feel good! :)

Not sure of Canadian regs, but I had vinyl labels made showing the minimum octane and capacity.

RV-7build1089.jpg

Right!

The labels are for the part-time line-guy/gal who has an extremely limited knowledge of aviation:

What type of fuel?

How much? US Gallons? Liters, or is that litres?

The old "KISS" principle.

Otherwise, you run the risk that the line kid will, thinking that your RV is so fast, put Jet-A in it :D

Seriously, it is actually a good thought to put the capacity next to the fuel selector as well as on the tank filler hole if you let other people fly your airplane. They may forget what the capacity is and run out.

Seriously, it is actually a good thought to put the capacity next to the fuel selector as well as on the tank filler hole if you let other people fly your airplane. They may forget what the capacity is and run out.

The "QTY" labeled at the selector should be the "Usable Fuel for the tank selected", not the total capacity as required at the filler cap.

Drop the color on the caps. That way, you can run auto fuel that is 80 or better.

Just one guy's $.02 worth.

usable fuel on selector....and gauges?

The "QTY" labeled at the selector should be the "Usable Fuel for the tank selected", not the total capacity as required at the filler cap.

Mel, I am going to go re-label a few things tomorrow! I currently have my gauges marked to show 'zero' at the 5 gal mark, thinking this gives me my reserve! In fact, the last few gallons may be un-usable, since I've never run the tanks dry, I'd better not count on that fuel being part of the reserve.

thanks for making me stand up and notice!

...In fact, the last few gallons may be un-usable, since I've never run the tanks dry, I'd better not count on that fuel being part of the reserve...
It is more like the last few ounces are un-usable.

I once took off with a touch less than five gallons on board to fly seven miles to anothe airport to get fuel. With my old, small engine, five gallons was over 45 minutes of flight time.

Bill is correct!

There is little, if any, unusable fuel in the standard RV tanks.