Flyguytki

Well Known Member
There has been alot of talk in the "Priming in the Cold" thread about keeping an insulated garage heated this winter but how about those who are in an un insulated hanger?? Are there any tips or tricks to keeping yourself warm?? Is it all about wearing layers, or does the project just go on hold for a few months? My initial plans are to use a Kerosene/Propane Tube heater and just let it blow in my general direction but from reading other peoples posts this may not be enough.....

-david

Get the biggest infrared heater you can (a couple of them) that sit on top of a propane bottle. Move them to whatever area you are working as they do not heat the air, only stuff that is in the path of their radiation. Worked for me during last winter's final assembly. We had one of the coldest winters last winter and I know it was because I was doing the final assembly of my RV7 in an unheated/uninsulated hangar!!!!

Infrared heaters are definitely the way to go when it is really cold. I used an electric IR heater on a tripod (picture, etc), plus lots of layers of clothes, when I was in the final assembly phase of my RV-8. The coldest internal hangar temperature I worked in was about -20 deg C (-4 deg F). It wasn't enjoyable at that cold temperature, but I was able to make good progress. Fortunately the typical internal hangar temperature that winter was much warmer, usually between -10 to -12 deg C (10 to 14 deg F).

I'm guessing it'll be a bit warmer in Texas, so you should be able to find a way to deal with it.

Advice that I was given was to make the fuel choice wisely because you may likely spend more on fuel than hangar rent when attempting to heat an uninsulated hangar.

I decided to go with kerosene, since the thought of refilling propane bottles for me was a nightmare. Look at the the fuel consumption per btu output before you purchase a heater. You'll be surprized in the differences.

I'm finding that a 130kbtu kerosen bullet heater can keep my twin size uninsulated hangar about 60 degrees, but it runs all the time. I also have a thermostat on it, so it does turn off when it gets to temperature. I can bring the temp from 32 to 55-60 in about ten minutes.

Unfortunately, I don't, and I assume that most others are in the same boat, in that electricity is severely limited and really doesn't support electric heaters in the hangar.

Depending on how tight your uninsulated hangar is, be careful with makeup air if you are using a bullet type kerosene heater. Those things put off some major fumes and it can get to you quick!

Propane is typically much cheaper at the local gas company than it is at the exchange stations. They also fill them all the way up vs the exchange scammers!

If you go IR, get a couple with at least a 40K BTU rating.

Agreed, with my 130kbtu, it requires a 3sq ft opening for fresh air. Unfortunately, that's not an issue in my hangar with how well (or lack thereof) the door seals. I also have a CO detector mounted at a 3' height level on my workbench as a precautionary measure. I've not seen any accumulation of CO (per the meter) yet. My assumption due to the CO meter readings is that I have an adequate fresh air source.

In my research, it appears that the newer kerosene heaters seem to burn the fuel cleaner than some of the older models. Mine clearly doesn't smell like some of the others that I've got experience with. I was originally going to buy used, until I read this in one of the vendor's documentation.

While these also burn diesel or JP4, I wouldn't recommend those fuels due to the fact they don't burn as clean in these types of heaters.

I prefer propane, but then again, I fill my own tanks out of my 500 gallon tank for my house, it sits directly beside my hanger. I also have propane piped to 3 IR heaters hanging in my hanger.

Marshall Alexander

I prefer propane, but then again, I fill my own tanks out of my 500 gallon tank for my house, it sits directly beside my hanger. I also have propane piped to 3 IR heaters hanging in my hanger.

Marshall Alexander

Rub it in........:D

When you rent municipal hangars, our choices are limited. I even offered to install new electical circuits at my expense with the new service being metered and me paying the bill. I couldn't get them to approve it. I'm sure many other locations are similiar.

Some of the higher btu heaters would go through a 40lb tank in 4-8 hours. I didn't want to have to refill on a daily basis or have to lug a 100lb tank to get refilled. It's easier for me to get 5 gal of kerosene once a week on the way to the airport.

The IR heaters sound like just what I'm looking for. I like the fact they take no gas therefore puts off no fumes to watch out for. Also with no fuel it should never die on me half way through the day or cost me money every week. Does anyone have any recommendations on which works well? I read an article saying Dayton's are very good. Any suggestions??

Next question On the list..... Any reason to worry about the water that accumulates at the bottom of the air compressor freezing?? I have been thinking about the effects it would cause and don't see anything really that negative.

Thanks again for putting up with me

-david

.........Rub it in........:D.

Last week the outside temp was well below zero...the hangar dipped to 50*F. So we turned the floor heat up to 60....yeah it gets rough out there

RV-7build1118.jpg

since we're rubbing it in, I'm hangar sitting this winter, while the owner goes to Texas

So we turned the floor heat up to 60...

Yeah you just got to love radiant heat in the floor. It's the best. I have it throughtout the house and just wish it was in the garage (newer homes have that out here as well).

Now to find a muni hanger with that option!

Bob