Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So i honestly dont know much about avionics and wiring and everything behind the panel, but i have seen on many airplanes where they have a Car CD player integrated into their panel. Im assuming this is so you can get music through your headset. How is this done? Is there a special wiring harness that goes from the cd player to the intercom? How hard is this to add to an existing panel and intercom set up?
david

Most newer intercoms come with a music in port or set of pins. On the stereo I use the low power RCA outputs. What intercom do you have and I'll look up what pins you need to plug into.

A couple of tips ...

Flyguytki said:
So i honestly dont know much about avionics and wiring and everything behind the panel, but i have seen on many airplanes where they have a Car CD player integrated into their panel. Im assuming this is so you can get music through your headset. How is this done? Is there a special wiring harness that goes from the cd player to the intercom? How hard is this to add to an existing panel and intercom set up?
david
1. Not too bad i fyour intercom has a "music input" or "aux input" or "line input".
2. If you don't have a good stereo intercom be sure and get one that has those inputs. It will "mute" the music if there is a transmission from ATC.
3. Get an "entertainment subsystem" (car cd :) ) that has "line out" or "aux out" or "pre-amp out". Decent ones can be had for between $100 and $150.
- You can get ones now that play normal music CDs, MP3 CDs (holds ~ 10 "albums" per CD) as well as WMA (Windows Media files). And they come with a jack on the front for another "Aux IN". This is a BONUS! The reason is that then you can plug in yet another music source, say an iPOD or other portable music player that you or your passenger may have **and** since it is going through the CD player that goes to the intercom that "mutes" the music when you or ATC speak, it all works out nicely.
4. Once wired correctly, you can get a cord from Radio Shack or somewhere that will take the "pre-amp out" (via RCA) to the "music in" (via 1/8") etc.

As mentioned earlier the question is what intercom do you have at thee moment?

James

currently we do not have any intercom nor an aircraft. The reason i ask is because if the aircraft we do end up getting does not have this then we will be adding it. But so far very good answers, thanks alot for the input.
david

From my flightcom 403 intercom, I wired an input jack to my panel for my mp3 player. It works great. It fades in and out between transmits.
Simple task.