Hi,
I bought one nice RV7A and want to install an inverted fuel pickup tube in one tank. I bought the part from Van's, but I don't know how to install it. I have the original float senders. Do I need to move the float to the second bay? How do I do it in a tank that was assembled for the regular installation? Pictures are very welcomed!!!!

Hi,
I bought one nice RV7A and want to install an inverted fuel pickup tube in one tank. I bought the part from Van's, but I don't know how to install it. I have the original float senders. Do I need to move the float to the second bay? How do I do it in a tank that was assembled for the regular installation? Pictures are very welcomed!!!!

A couple of things need to be done... Yes the float will need to be moved to the 2nd bay in the rear baffle. The inspection cover will need to be replaced with one that does not have the cutout for the sender. You'll drill a hole for the -6D elbow through the tank attach bracket, rib, and reinforcing plate on the inside. The flop tube fitting will pass through all of those. You'll also need to put in the trap door as specified in the plans, as well as the anti-hangup brackets to keep the flop tube from getting hung up.

Here are some pics:

Flop tube comes through at leading edge of inboard rib, also note inspection cover:

img_3045.jpg

Safety Wired -6D elbow on flop tube:

AN833-6D-safety-wire.jpg

Flop tube installed:

img_3059.jpg

Flop Tube & Anti-Hangup Bracket #1:

img_3059.jpg

Anti-Hangup bracket #2 and Trap Door:

img_2981.jpg

Hope all that helps!!

Installing a flop tube in a flying RV7A

It doesn't matter so much whether the plane is an RV 3,4,6,7,8,9, or 10. The plane ABSOLUTELY has to be landed first, before the flop tube can be installed.
Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach" SORRY, I JUST HAD TO DO IT, COULDN'T RESIST