Flyguytki

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
So heres my problem, these forums have become my favorite site on the internet and I enjoy reading on everyones progress on there fabrications. I am currently a student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach and am also in Army ROTC so there is'nt much time to do much of anything after school. I have a real passion for hands on work and cant wait until im fortunate enough to start building my own RV. Being in School I don't have too much room and of course not the money to start construction just yet, So my question is what are yall's suggestions on how I can get started with small projects and such to work my way up to eventually a tail kit. Is there anyone from this area who is in the middle of construction and would'nt mind an extra set of hand? I have alot of experience working on aircraft such as cubs and Pitts but not much with aluminum. So sorry to drag this out but I'm just trying to find a way to get my hands dirty with the construction of my own RV so any of your ideas/ comments would be great.

Thanks alot,
David
(I'm will also be going home to Mckinney Tx for the holiday so the same offer goes out to anyone in that area as well)

You might try joining a local EAA chapter. That will help you to get to know some local builders. You never know when they might need an extra hand to help buck some rivets.

Good Luck.

Hang out

When I first moved to Waycross, I started hanging out at the local FBO. Rented their J3 cub and and other planes. Pretty soon the boss man walks up and says to me "Hey, you hang out here so much why dont I put you to work."

So I started fueling airplanes and then I would hang out with the A&I mechanic and keep him amused whilst he did annuals and such. Pretty soon he had me changing tires and spark plugs and striping down planes for inspection. If you have any spare time at all, find an suitable FBO and hang out. It paid me to hang out when I got a job. :p

your kind

When I first moved to Waycross, I started hanging out at the local FBO. Rented their J3 cub and and other planes. Pretty soon the boss man walks up and says to me "Hey, you hang out here so much why dont I put you to work."

So I started fueling airplanes and then I would hang out with the A&I mechanic and keep him amused whilst he did annuals and such. Pretty soon he had me changing tires and spark plugs and striping down planes for inspection. If you have any spare time at all, find an suitable FBO and hang out. It paid me to hang out when I got a job. :p

is the best kind. there because you want to be.;)

I would definitely check out the local EAA chapters. There's a good bet you could find someone who would be willing to share their hangar space, tools, and experience while you build an emp kit.

I was pretty fortunate. The airplane building bug didn't hit me until the last semester of school. I did AFROTC at USC, and am now stationed in Ohio. The AF family housing here comes with a decent one-car garage which is now my shop.

How much longer until you graduate?