mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

For some instrument approaches, one is required to have two separate VOR souces--identifying intersections, etc. I have a dual GRT Hx with a Garmin GTN 650 on Nav 1 and an SL 30 on Nav 2.

If I set up the upper screen with Nav 1 and set the lower on Nav 2, the upper then gets swiched to Nav 2 and vice versa. It seems that I can only have one nav source at a time.

Is there a way to have one screen indicate nav 1 and the other Nav 2? Is this just how it is or is there a software or wiring solution?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8
Livermore

SL 30

I have a similar setup on my (not quite yet finished) G3X panel. My plan for dual-VOR approaches for intersections is to simply use the GTN650 as Nav 1 in the G3X and set up the SL30 screen to display the radial for the crossing line.

On the HXr you can select the source for the Needles on the RMI (CDI button) and the 2 different NAV sources will be displayed on those bearing pointers .

I'm not sure, but I think that will work the same on the HX.

Problem mostly solved

Hi folks,

I read through this and then went out and tried it. Does work as described. The Hx manual has one line that sort of mentions this. Not great documentation. I have been used to finding intersections by setting up VOR two to frequency, adjusting the OBS to the radial and then waiting for the needle to center.

With the HSI, you watch the needle but have to remember the radial. Increases work load but is do-able.

Thanks for the help

Your 650 database has nearly every intersection known to man, so you can usually use it (like you would a DME) to ID the FAF or whatever. Usually you only need the VOR cross fix if the GPS is not working.
At SCK on the ILS I do see the VOR cross fix on the HSI but usually use the GPS for the fix, it's easier and more accurate. You should also see the GS centering. (Of course, if the GS is OTS, and you're doing the LOC approach, then you really do need to ID that intersection).
If you aren't using the heading bug, you can set it to the "TO" bearing desired to the VOR fix, and it will appear on the DG around the HSI so you don't have to remember the bearing.

Last edited:
Another Way to Identify a bearing or radial..

You can use this method to take the place of a second VOR, or quickly set up and monitor your position.

On the GTN650 you can also use the Direct to page to set up a radial (or a bearing to) any fix in its database.

Push the Direct to button and select the fix. Then, in the lower right of the screen you will see a box that says"course to" and it will be populated with the course from your present position to the fix.

21911980693_93c85e52b4_b.jpg

Touch that box and type in the radial from that fix you need to identify the place you want to cross.

22507201476_ed463ec619_b.jpg

Enter and activate what you have just entered and it will indicate that in the course to box in the lower right.

22345477808_bea8f3a8b6_b.jpg

and that will also be displayed as a Magenta line on the map and the needle on the RMI.

22533185225_c44668ac04_b.jpg

Below is a display showing all the RMI options that are selectable under the CDI softkey along the bottom of the PFD. Note this is not the same information I talk about above, just shows how the Needles are displayed..

21911979303_d5e7619a27_b.jpg

Clear as mud huh... There are many ways to skin a cat and identify crossing radials on the HX and HXr series of EFIS's.

This can also be used to intercept radials very easily. For example, I was leaving Memphis a while back and picked up a clearance and the controller told me on my present heading to intercept the 071 radial and fly it outbound. I put in direct MEM (VOR) and in the course to box I entered 251, the reciprical so the line would be displayed where the 071 radial actually was, and I was able to quickly set this up without having to tune the VOR freq, and dial in the radial. Very quick way to navigate.