RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Here is the dumb question for the day. I want to update my avatar to the now painted plane.
Cant shrink it small enough to be the 80 x 80, keeps rejecting as too big. So..used my photo editing software, cant make it that small. So went to picture hosting sites, uploaded and shrank it there to avatar size. STILL NO JOY, can shrink to 80x80 but cannot get down from 23kb to the max 10kb size.....and its rejected. UGGGGHHHH

Help. can build and fly airplane, cant shrink photo ...what the....??????

Anybody?????

Last edited:
There was an old thread about doing the avatar thing-----you might try a search for it.

Be sure to set the time frame in the parameters to "any date"

I tried in photoshop

I saved one of your pictures from a previous post and was able to shrink the picture to 80x80 using Photoshop.

I feel your pain...become a moderator

I had exactly the same problem when I went to change my avatar to the eyeball a couple of days ago. I finally solved it by letting the moderator, who I sleep with, change it for me. Apparently the rule doesn't apply to moderators. The 10 kb limit seems to be a real killer! You struggle to get it down to 80x80 and only then does it pop up with the 10 kb limit. Reminds me of some federal operations. :rolleyes:

then what

ok i can get that far, but when i upload...kicks it out and says its still 23kb, and cant be more than 10kb. Cant find how to lower that? haha, kind of funny, maybe i should wait till my kids get home and ask them.:mad:

Ummm

Ok so I have to sleep with a moderator to get my painted bird up..as my avatar. Ok...do i get to choose...haha.

What if we just go with I owe ya... :confused:

wtzo6u.jpg

ok i can get that far, but when i upload...kicks it out and says its still 23kb, and cant be more than 10kb. Cant find how to lower that? haha, kind of funny, maybe i should wait till my kids get home and ask them.:mad:

In PhotoShop (and least the version I'm using), you can press Ctrl-Shift-S to save as a .jpg file. Doing this gives a pop up box where you can assign the 'quality' you want. Higher quality gives higher file size. You can play with the number until you get something 10KB or less. Hope this helps!

br,
dr

That'll depend on the tool you are using. With Photoshop, you can change the quality level which has a direct relationship to file size.

Solved

Or just whine enought on here that people with better photo editing software feel sorry for you and just do it for ya.

Thanks Xavier, and David for also offering. MUCH appreciated. New avatar up.

Use Gimp. It is free. Crop to your liking. "Scale Image" and set the width or height to the pixel number that you're aiming for. Then I usually do Filters-Enhance-Sharpen with a value of about 35. That is optional but it helps with the loss from the scale operation. Then, obviously, save as JPG. This is where the important part is. Set the JPG quality to about 85. A lower number than that has diminishing returns on file size for the loss in quality. Now, most importantly for a small, less than 10K image, is to turn OFF all of the extra data saved with the file. In the save dialog, Advanced Options, uncheck everything except "optimize". Save the file and Boom, a 3-5K image. I recently did hundreds of them for work.