Saville

Well Known Member
Ok so now that I have the airplane, I need a parachute.

I need a chute for me (195lbs) and a chute for the pax. Typically the pax will be my girl and she's little - 5' 4" 115lbs.

I don't know how this is done and have a number of questions:

1) If you contact a parachute company, is it delivered to your home?

2) Is it delivered as a kit? Is some assembly required?

3) Is it delivered packed or do you have to get it packed?

4) Are chutes one size fits all? If not, if I get a chute for my girl, then that means I need another one for someone larger?

Any info is appreciated.

They should come packed and ready to go.

For help in selection and a view on the weight recommendations go to a glider supply place...:)

http://wingsandwheels.com/parachutes.html

As an example - here are the Paraphernalia makers suggested numbers -

*Mini = Recommended Pilot Weight is up to 240 lbs.

*Micro = Available in 180 lbs. and 240 lbs. versions.

*Wedge = Available in 180 lbs. and 240 lbs. versions.

*Long = Available in 180 lbs. and 240 lbs. versions.

*Seatpack = Recommended Pilot Weight is up to 240 lbs.

If you live at higher density altitudes you might want to build in a bit of margin, but MA should be OK...:)

Last edited:
A good place to start looking is Don Mayer's Parachute Shop, http://www.parachuteshop.com

I bought a Strong 304 seat pack from him, works well in my RV-8, T-28 or T-6. The Strong 314 looks to be geared towards the RV-4 and 8, but for other RVs, you might look at a backpack type. One thing that caught my eye are the prices, oh my how they've gone up! Mine was $1500-ish in 2006; today it would be $2250. Ouch.

If you buy from a vendor like this, it arrives in a big box, ready to go. No assembly required, it has a current pack, just pull it out of the box and strap it on. To be legally usable the chute needs a fresh repack every 180 days by a certified rigger. Look around for a sport drop zone, they'll have guys that can do it.

As far as sizing for your girl, call the vendor, they'll know best...

You might also find a decent used one on Barnstormers; if you go that route you'll want to get a fresh inspection and repack right outta the gate methinks;).

If you by a used one be cautious of it's age.

This note is from Butler Parachutes -

Age Limits: Because most aging effects in nylon textile products cannot be detected without destructive testing, BPS will not pack a parachute that is over twenty years old at the time of repacking.

You need to try different types in your plane to see what is comfortable and fits. I'm paying $60 for repack at local skydive place. Needs repack every 180 days to keep FAA legal. If you buy a new one the dealer/rigger can give you expert advice.