vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
I'm building the wings and have installed the duckworks light. I know I need to attach the ground lead to the airframe, and will use a ring terminal. The question is:

How to fasten the ring terminal to the Aircraft?

I plan to drill a hole in the end rib and fasten there, but with what type of HW?
Is stainaless ok? Should I use Cad-Plated steel? If Cad-plated, where can I get that? Do I need a star washer to bite into the Al?

Thanks

Just drill and install a #6 or #8 nutplate and put the ring terminal around a regular screw. Simple as pie. Make sure you have a good electrical connection between the terminal and airframe (i.e. remove any primer, etc).

Corrosion kills a good ground

BP:

Well, almost. A close look at Circular,AC-43.13-1B, pages 11-76 through 79 show multiple methods for installing grounds. One method is the afore mentioned nutplate. A second method uses a screw and nut and both aluminum and cadmium plated steel washers. Aluminum alloy washers are used next to the aluminum structure with a second washer (cadmium plated steel) against the screw head and nut. This is to prevent corrosion and ultimate loss of ground as a result of dissimilar metal contact at the current carrying joint.

The circular has a wealth of information on "acceptable methods, techniques and practices".

Jekyll

Jekyll is right about AC 43.13-1B. No one should be building an airplane without this book at arms reach.