IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I've been happily building away on the tail kit, pretty much ignoring the fiberglass tips and the holes where they attach. I have been trying to drill/dimple the few holes that I won't be able to get to later for the CS4-4 rivets. Most of those holes are near narrow trailing edges.

But my question for the group is the two holes on the elevators where the skins overlap (main skin & counterbalance skin). I just left them open, figuring I could handle it later at tip installation time. But now I realize that there are 2 overlapping skins, and I didn't dimple them.

elevatortiprivetsxi4.jpg

What to do? Can I dimple them now in assembly? Should I have drilled and dimpled them first?

Any help would be appreciated!

When dimpling the skin holes that hold the fiberglass tips, if your dimple die does not fit fully flush on the single skin, but sits partially on the other skin, you will get a deformation around part of the dimple if you don't do something to prevent it.
There is a simple fix, though. Just take a piece of scrap the same thickness as the other skin, hold or tape it over the hole to be dimpled, and against the other skin, and drill through the hole and the piece of scrap to make a flush spot for the die to rest on while dimpling. This will allow you to make a perfect dimple.