ToadMan8

Hello folks! I've done some searching around about this, and I also called Van's builder assistance for an official opinion, and picked up some interesting tidbits along the way.

I had some normal scratching from chips, assembly, etc., on the inside of my horizontal stabilizer skins, and I wanted to know if they were deep enough to require sanding. Pictures and the full discussion are available here - http://rvhaslanded.blogspot.com/

However, here's the summary of my conversation from Van's builder assistance:
Question: I have some scratches caused by drilling and temporary assembly. How do I know when they are deep enough to warrant sanding?
Answer: When you can catch your finger nail in them.

Question: Should I prime the mating surfaces?
Answer: This is often debated, but we recommend that you prime only the mating surfaces, if that. The inside of the skin, rib webs, etc., don't hold water, so there is almost never a corrosion issue on non-mated surfaces.

Question: It's easy to tell that the big skins are AlClad (it's printed on the aluminum), but how can I tell for the smaller parts like ribs? Is it indicated on the parts list?
Answer: No, but it's easy to tell. Anything .040" or thinner is certainly AlClad, because all [Van's] sheet aluminum is AlClad. So, ribs, angle, etc. bent or formed from sheets is AlClad. Extruded parts, such as extruded angle, stiffeners, etc., are not AlClad.

This was very helpful. As a result, I intend to only prime mating surfaces and the extruded parts. Since this is self-etching (DupliColor) primer, I think I am going to skip the sanding step, because I don't see the purpose in removing the AlClad to get better adhesion. I figure it'll stick well enough in the scratches where it needs to.

Other opinions? I'm glad to hear them!

Scuff

I found that a light scuffing of the parts with a scotch brite pad allowed much greater adhesion of the NAPA self etching primer I used.

Last edited:
Scuffing

I'm scuffing but I admit I second guess this decision every time i clean the parts after scuffing. It is difficult to remove all the residual aluminum dust after scuffing and I'm not sure this step is really necessary. If the primer properly etches the metal it doesn't seem logical that scuffing would be necessary.

Robert

I usually scuff the mating surfaces with red scotchbrite. I do not get real deep to lose the alclad. Just a good firm scuff. Then, I clean with mek and paper towel. Turn the towel often the towel no longer turns black. This usually takes two or three cleanings. Then I use self-etching primer of your choice. I find that I get a good chemical and mechanical bond. This is the way I did mine, so it is just my opinion of what worked for me.

bird