Nomex Maximus

Well Known Member
Is there any simple way to connect a camcorder into a standard aircraft intercom / radio ? I have a 3.5 mm mic input jack on the camcorder and would like to record radio and a/c intercom on the camcorder without the built in mic (i.e, without engine and wind noise)... how do you guys do it?

Thanks

--NM

Trial and error

The easiest way is to use one of the passenger headphone outputs (if you have unused intercom positions) to connect to the camcorder. For starters I would use a 1K resistor in series and try it. Your camcorder might have a stereo input, and your intercom might be mono, in which case you can parallel both inputs to the camcorder. Don't worry if things don't work as planned, at first. But you might have to try different values on the resistor, or no resistor at all until the audio level into the camcorder mic in is adequate.

Disclaimer: This is general information only, since I don't know exactly what king of equipment you have. Use this info at your own risk.

I'm working on the same project. It is my understanding that you need an attenuating audio chord that is available from Radio Shack. I am not sure if I am rembering the part number, but I think it is #2152A. Unfortunately the one I got has a short and no other stock available from my local store for the next couple of days. I purchased a plug that is specifically made for connecting a recording device, such as a camcorder to the pax headphone jack from Marv Golden. It has a Y connector so you can still plug in a pax headset. I tried connecting a normal audio chord to all this, but all the audio input, including intercom, radio and music, were slightly distorted. Thus the need for an attenuating chord.

This is the link to the particular chord I got from Marv Golden. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.....

http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/adapters.htm

Hope this helps

Last edited: