witek

Well Known Member
Hello,

Maybe someone can help.
At the beginning of Jan 2014 I placed an order in Catto for 2-Bladed Glass/Carbon Composite Propeller for my RV-7A.

I got a confirmation of my order and an invoice and also information by e-mail that 2 weeks before the delivery I will be informed and have to pay the invoice.

Over last 3 weeks I've sent several e-mails do Catto asking about the status of my order but I have not received any answer so far.

What is your experience? How long you have to wait for your propellers ordered at Catto?
Do you know any different method how to get information from this company?

Thanks,
Witold

Catto

We just had a big Air show here in the US over the last two weeks. Have you sent a deposit? Catto is a small shop,at times its tough to make Props and return phone calls at the same time. email Nicole again,I'm sure she will get back to you soon.
RHill

I ordered mine the end of January and was recently told that it's about 1 more month to delivery. I have used email successfully to communicate with them and talked to them on the telephone. It does take about a week to get an email response. The build the props in batches so that has some effect on the timing of how long to get your prop as well. Based upon your order, I think you should be hearing something soon, but maybe a call to them might get you an updated build date.

Kind of frustrating to have such a successful product, such a challenge to get.

I have a long story that I will not go into here dealing with getting a prop from Catto. Given that experience I can say that you just need to be aware that you will have to stay proactive in communicating with Catto until you actually take delivery. To answer your question concerning what is the best way to communicate with Catto; well, there is only one way I have ever been successful in communicating with Craig or his daughter, who is now running the business end of things. That is picking up the telephone and talking with Craig or his daughter in person. Even then be prepared to have deadlines come and go with no delivery. Be patient but stay proactive. Keep talking with him via telephone when at all possible. I might also add the best time of day I have been successful in talking with Craig directly is when I call around 4:00 pm PST or later. Don't expect to talk with someone there during the most productive parts of the work day. They will be busy manufacturing props at those times. I see that you are in Europe so coordinating times when you can talk via telephone may be difficult. Regardless, I have found that is the most productive way I could have any successful communications. Good luck.

They recently moved to a new location------I wonder if some of the delay you are experiencing is due to that??

Hang in there.......

Spam?

I had some problems communicating with Catto via email last year. I found that they had been answering my emails but the emails kept getting directed to my spam folder before I saw them. It's worth a look.

I have experienced everything described in these posts. Bottom line is that if they are large enough to have multiple CNC machines, they are large enough to invest a little in the administrative side of things...Nicole is very nice, but she is in school and does this part time...she's not anywhere near the shop and can't answer many questions. It IS very frustrating. I got a call two days ago from her announcing that my prop had shipped and she gave me a FedEx tracking number that wouldn't track. I can only assume that the prop will make it all worth it, but if I ran my business this way, I'd be out of business. Can't wait to see the prop though.

My emails from them went in to the spam box as well.

Mark, she sent me a tracking number on Monday but the box wasn't picked up till Thursday of that week. I think they maybe do a weekly FedEx pickup?

I think Craig Catto is a brilliant aerodynamic engineer. Whether he has an official degree in that capacity or not, I don't know, but regardless of that the man knows his stuff when designing and building airfoils. Having said that however, I think he needs to recognize his business also needs other experts in other fields that are necessary for any business to continually succeed in the long term. One of those is in the area of customer support. That is a critical aspect of every sales business that cannot be overlooked or put on hold. His product does literally sell itself because of the exacting high quality he puts into building each prop. Now if he could just develop the same level of expertise in managing the customer support side of selling props he will no doubt dominate the fixed pitch prop market.

Funny how people's experiences differ. Although most here seem to be reporting a common theme.
I've had several email correspondence's with Craig and Nicole, and had no issues. Always quick to respond. (Grove on the other hand :rolleyes: that was an experience)
Unfortunately for me though, it's the spinner I need that is more the problem. I must admit I haven't ordered my prop yet.
Paul.

Communications with Catto Propellers

Hello,
I'd like to take a moment to introduce myself and address your concerns. I am stepping into Catto Propellers May 1 as the Chief of Operations. I have been employed 8 years with an on-demand charter operator and for the past 5 years have been the Director of Safety and Compliance for both the flight and maintenance operations. All the while graduating with a BS in Business Administration, concentration in Finance and soon to have a Masters in Engineering, concentration in Integrated Technology Management from the Industrial and Manufacturing engineering department at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I specialize in Quality Management with my AS9100 Quality Auditor Certificate, a division of ISO 9001:2008 specializing in Aerospace Maintenance and Manufacturing. I have been a licensed pilot for over 10 years and have worked in the shop with Craig my entire life.
Catto Propellers purchased a new 10,000sqft facility located at KJAQ, Jackson, California on January 15th and has been methodically transitioning equipment and personnel in order to minimize impact on orders. After being at our previous facility for over 30 years, we are eager to grow and expand.
As of April 1st, all phases of the operations have been transitioned to the new facility. In this coming month our 2nd CNC will be in operation doubling our capacity to meet the growing demand of our high performance propellers. I do sincerely apologize that orders have been delayed because of this move, but we anticipate a significant decrease in lead times now that work flow has been reestablished.
In the past 5 years Catto Propellers has grown from a one man operation to now 10 full time employees producing over 800 propellers a year for experimental, UAV and now certified ASTM compliant propellers for the largest LSA companies in the USA. We greatly appreciate your business and I look forward to working with you in the future.
Feel free to contact us any time, our number has not changed, just our location. (209) 754-3553 or by email [email protected]
Sincerely,
Sara Catto

I have known Craig since we were teenagers, and have had the privilege of watching all the Catto kids grow into fine adults.
Sara has excelled in her studies, professional achievements, and her part of the operation at her former employer. She will bring to to the operations side of Catto Props the same skill and expertise that Craig brings to the technical side.
This will take a certain amount of time, but I see on a daily basis the efforts being made by Craig, Nicole, and the rest of the current Catto Props staff. Sara's skills and business acumen will channel all the current hard work to make the selection of a Catto prop a pleasing experience from placing the order through to the flight that you just finished.

Last edited:
Catto Propellers

'' I got a call two days ago from her announcing that my prop had shipped and she gave me a FedEx tracking number that wouldn't track.''
------------------------------
I was finally able to talk to Nicole yesterday about my new 3 Bladed Carbon Fiber with Nickel leading edge prop ( Sorry but I had to say this as it sounds so goooood...;) ) and she told me that Fedex were supposed to pick up my prop yesterday and as of now it is showing on the Fedex Tracking web site so hopefully it is on its way.

This is my second Catto Prop and I can't say enough about the fantastic and friendly experience it has been dealing with the Catto Family eventough at times it is hard to get hold of them.Hopefully like Sara said, they will be picking up speed in the next few months and it will make the wait worthwhile..

Can't wait to try it out...

Bruno
[email protected]

Prop Shipped

I think it's great news that Sara is involved with the business and from her post, she sounds like a very serious and business-like person. Good for Catto!

I did get another tracking number and this one tracks and I will have my new prop on Thursday...can't wait to see it.

I just received a Catto prop after waiting quite a long time. But in defense of Craig Catto, he explained up front that he builds the props in batches, and he couldn't promise when it would be delivered. He locked in the price on the day I ordered it. He didn't want any money until a few days before it was to be shipped.

If you want to work on your cowling before the prop arrives, order the prop extension directly from Saber Manufacturing. You can estimate the location of the spinner by looking at the back side of the prop extension. The folks at Saber are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I have been extremely happy with the communication with Catto, both via email and phone. Nicole was very pleasant to talk to and she knew the answers to all my questions. I received email responses within a day or so.

A tip - have Craig cut the spinner for you. That will save you a ton of time and you'll have a precise fit.

Bottom line - if you decide on a Catto prop, order it sooner than later. Be patient, the product is more than worth it.

Catto Prop

Well I picked up my new Catto Prop across the border last Thursday and finally installed it today ( Had to wait for a new 5/8'' Crush Plate that was supposed to be in the spinner box)and as a repeat offender I gotta tell you...it is one of the nicest prop I ever laid my eyes on...A true piece of art.

Now I just hope that it flies and perform as good as it looks...Can't wait.

Will post pictures first chance I get

It is worth the wait ( 3 1/2 months for me )

Bruno