Vlad

Well Known Member
My canopy cover is 5 years old. I like it it's heavy duty and still intact. Served me very well. Now I am parked under the elements and I've noticed recently after rain next morning my clean windshield is not clean anymore. There is dirt embedded in the cover and when wet it soils the plexi. Not a disaster plexiglass cleans easily but I would like to clean cover as well. Any recommendations? Can I simply put it into a washing machine? Dryer?

Washing your cover

Hi Vlad. Do not put it in the washer or a dryer. That will destroy it.
I would treat it like a sail. Similar material. Hand scrub it with a bristle
Brush and dish washing soap. Rinse and hang to dry in the sun. Or put it in a bath tub and hand wash. Laundry detergent would be fine also.
The Countess Kia says hi.

Thanks Al. It makes sense. Send my highest regards to the Countess. How is the little RV3?

From Bruce's website:

We recommend and Sunbrella? recommends to hand wash the covers with a mild soap, like Woolite? or Ivory Flakes?. Use a bucket of water and a soft-bristled brush or sponge. Hose off the cover, scrub it down (be more gentle on the inside microfiber lining), hose it off again, and line dry it. You may view a more thorough instructional video on Cleaning and Care Instructions HERE.

Do not commercial wash, dry, or dry-clean our covers. Those processes will prematurely deteriorate the material by breaking down the UV and water repellent inhibitor treatments that are already incorporated in the material. If you have a huge cover, or the covers are very dirty, you may remove all attachment buckles and wash the cover in a front-loading machine that has a hand wash or delicate cycle, using mild soaps. Do not machine dry the cover.

If, after a couple/few seasons, your cover seems to be losing its water repellent qualities, contact us and we'll send you a free bottle of UV and water repellent treatment that you can spray on your cover. The UV and water repellent treatment is similar to Scotch Guard (Click HERE for more information on the fabric treatment), however it is made specifically for Sunbrella?. Re-treating your cover with the UV and water repellent treatment is by no means a "cure-all" solution, however it does help to prolong the life your cover.

From what you said, it sounds like it get a little washing every time it rains. By the end of the winter, it should be clean as can be!!

Machine washed, ok result

My cover is 8 years old, was just getting too gross with birdshat etc. so put it in the front load washer, then hung to dry.
If I had a pressure washer, I'd likely do what Bruce's recommends instead; brush and rinse.

The washer made the top, most weathered fabric go kinda fuzzy.
Repeated applications of Scotchgard were done, but I'm not sure it's really waterproof anymore.
The seams were getting weak, so we stitched on some webbing at the stress points; should last a few more years.

My cover is 8 years old, was just getting too gross with birdshat etc. so put it in the front load washer, then hung to dry.
If I had a pressure washer, I'd likely do what Bruce's recommends instead; brush and rinse.

The washer made the top, most weathered fabric go kinda fuzzy.
Repeated applications of Scotchgard were done, but I'm not sure it's really waterproof anymore.
The seams were getting weak, so we stitched on some webbing at the stress points; should last a few more years.

I have a Cleaveland Tools Canopy cover that is 16-years old. I have washed in a washing machine twice over the years. I also did the Scotchguard or other spray on water repellent treatment after the wash and dryer drying. It does not look NEW but it looks pretty good for 16-years old.