Vlad

Well Known Member
My plane is dirty. Just finished Phase One it was intensive flying. To clean windshield and cowling was easy but bare alclad I didn't touch yet. Flown through a rain for a brief period and there are streaks everywhere it looks not nice. How do you clean yours unpainted? Could I use avgas to clean oily underneath?

dirt.jpg

I keep a spray bottle with water and a few drops of Dawn dish soap in the hangar. After each flight I spray the leading edges, cowling, prop, and canopy to clean the bugs off. Note: I do not use the same towel for the canopy that I use on all of the other surfaces. I use a microfiber towel on the canopy.

Last edited:
Could I use avgas to clean oily underneath?

Tanya cleans the oily under side of her airplane exclusively with avgas. She has tried all kinds of stuff but likes avgas the best. She just recently (after 4yrs) got herself a creaper and has seen the light! I've been telling her that she needed one for four years :).

Cleaning Aluminum

I worked in an aluminum extrusion plant years ago. We kept lacquer thinner on each workbench.

I still use it. Keep it off painted surfaces though.

Spray bottle with mineral spirits.

Wipe with a rag you plan to throw away---------or at least take to the laundromat to clean, dont wash in your own machine:eek:

Could I use avgas to clean oily underneath?

Highly unlikely to explode unless of course it has a source of ignition... Please use mineral spirits instead... OK, so call me an old fuddy-duddy...

I'm not a big fan of mineral spirits; it tends to smear and streak. And avgas can stain (it has dye in it, albeit not much). Simple Green is good for getting the tough stuff off the bottom, soap is Ok for the rest. I've been afraid to use it on my plane since I do intend (someday) to get it painted but I use Pledge on my bike to remove bugs from the chrome; it also helps to make future bugs easier to remove. If you are going to paint, be very cautious what you put on your plane; even overspray of some canopy cleaners.

Patrick, I've been told that Pledge has silicones in it... Keep it off your bare aluminum if you're thinking of painting later.

For the leading edges, just water and bug sponge.

For the belly, Simple Green, Boeing spec. KGB approved.