prkaye

Well Known Member
I'll be starting my first Annual this weekend (with only about 55 hours hobbs time on the plane - i don't fly enough!).

A couple of questions about the air filter.

1) is it time to replace it, or can I just clean it?

2) how do i clean it? Will it damage it to be submerged in water? Do I use soap? Or just vacuum/blow it out with air?

Get a standard K&N filter cleaning kit from an auto parts store and follow the directions.. you basically spray a cleaner on it, let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes I think.. then you stick a hose up to it and let water flow through. Don't spray it under pressure from the hose. Let it air dry.. then you spray the supplied oil in the kit to re-oil it (sparingly).

Here's a link:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47788&highlight=cleaning+air+filter

Last edited:
Get a standard K&N filter cleaning kit from an auto parts store and follow the directions.. ]

Or, if you have things to order from Van's for your annual, they sell the recharge kit usually cheaper than you will find locally.

Inspect the filter, it shouldn't need cleaning at 55 hours. 55 hours is about 2500 car miles and I am sure you don't clean your car filter every 2500 miles. Your car is also down here where all of the dust is.

Now it may be a different story if you were a crop duster.

Inspect the filter, it shouldn't need cleaning at 55 hours. 55 hours is about 2500 car miles and I am sure you don't clean your car filter every 2500 miles. Your car is also down here where all of the dust is.

Now it may be a different story if you were a crop duster.

Maybe... but how many modern car filters are oiled?

Ummm...
The K&N I used on my car...

Seriously, clean the filter yearly. That will give you a chance to remove and inspect it. Also, once you wash it out, you will need to let it dry before you oil it. So plan on two days for this, or buy a second filter and just swap out the dirty one with a clean one. Of course, you may have to "fit" the second filter to your carb.

PS. K&N filters are life time filters, no need to replace it, unless it is damaged.

I cleaned the filter a few days ago during the condition inspection, still using the original, twelve year-old filter.

The cleaner and oil in the recharge kit sure do remind me of Simple Green and Marvel Mystery Oil.........just saying..... :)

Last edited:

I have K&N on all my vehicles. Improves air intake.

I have a pick up truck with close to 300,000 miles on one airfilter.

Any cleaner will work, 409, Fantastic, etc. Not sure what the oil is.