Paul the Overlord

Well Known Member
Hi,

How does one go about changing the N number on a flying aircraft? I'm looking at a flying airplane, but want to use an N number I have reserved. Thanks!

It was quite easy...

Hi,

How does one go about changing the N number on a flying aircraft? I'm looking at a flying airplane, but want to use an N number I have reserved. Thanks!

...when I did it afew years ago.

This is a note from my files I created for a neighbor....

We did this step for xxxx on xxxx - you should get confirmation in 2-3 weeks. The fee is paid for the first year. (this gets your new number)

Special registration numbers are reserved for one year unless assigned to a specific aircraft. Upon reservation, a notice is mailed to the requester. Prior to the expiration date, a written request for renewal along with a $10 fee should be submitted to the Aircraft Registration Branch.

When you get the confirmation back from the FAA, send them a letter giving the information described below...(this requests approval to paint on the new number on a specific aircraft)

When requesting an assignment of a special registration number to an aircraft, a complete description of the aircraft including name of manufacturer, model designation, serial number, and if appropriate, current U.S. registration number should be included.

Then do this after the number is painted on....

Upon approval, an Assignment of Special Registration Number, AC Form 8050-64, is mailed to the owner in triplicate permitting the placement of the special registration number on the aircraft. Within five (5) days after the new identification number is placed on the aircraft, the owner of the aircraft must complete, sign in ink, and return the AC Form 8050-64, showing the date the new registration number was placed on the aircraft. The owner must carry a duplicate copy of the AC Form 8050-64 and a current Certificate of Aircraft Registration, AC Form 8050-3, as a temporary authority to operate the aircraft until receipt of the revised Certificate of Aircraft Registration indicating/showing the new N-Number.

I then applied to the local FSDO office for a revised Airworthiness Certificate.

It all went quite smoothly....:)