Mel.. where you at?

Mel.... Talk to us man!
Lets hear what it takes to be a DAR from "The man himself"
best
Brian

Not sure if the DAR requirements are the same but we had a couple guys go thought the DMIR process.

Basically there were two seminars, one online and another in Oklahoma City.

Once completed the FAA reviews the applicant for final approval. Ours still have not been certified.

Mathew Sharp

It is MUCH easier to become a DAR now that EAA has the "ABDAR". Back when I got mine, it was almost impossible to get unless you were retired FAA. I worked with the Dallas FSDO for several years helping to get airplanes ready for the inspection. Much time was spent proving my qualifications. I don't know much about EAA's "volunteer DAR" program. I got mine the hard way.
One thing to remember, after all the training and everything is completed, your name is put into a pool. You will not get you papers until your FSDO shows a need and requests a DAR from the pool. At that point, your qualifications will be weighed against others in the pool and in your area.

Recently, I encouraged a highly qualified DER (Designated Engineering Representative) friend to pursue the DAR and he talked to his contacts at the St. Louis FSDO. According to him, he would be required to travel to the DAR seminar in Oklahoma City and pay all own expenses for the 3-5 days of training, then participate in an annual seminar held at various places around the country in order to retain currency. He declined.

The "initial" training is 3-5 days in Oklahoma City and I believe still costs $150. Each year the "recurrent" seminars are scattered around the country. They are 3 days long and cost $150. You must maintain currency with the seminars and a minimum number of certifications. There are different function codes for which you must qualify and they must be maintained. For example function code 46 is experimental amateur-built, function code 47 is experimental light-sport, function code 48 is special light-sport, and function code 28 covers most other experimentals. These are the primary function codes that I deal with plus function code 33 which allows me to do amended or replacement certificates.
If I remember correctly the basic requirements are that you must be an A&P, you must have built an aircraft and flown it at least 100 hrs. You must have several "high quality" letters of recommendation from people known in the industry. You must have good comprehension of the FARs.
I'm remembering from the last century, so don't hold me to details.

I hope to become a DER at my company...it would be neat to also be a DAR.

How do I become a DER?

Anyone is a DER here I appreciate your input. I am an aero engineer with 8 yrs of work exp in flight controls design. I am interested in becoming a private DER. Is there a software DER? I've seen FAA's courses on software but didn't see a software field on FAA website? What do I need to do to become a DER?

Quick, Other than Mel, Name 3 Other DARs

Much like being a transition trainer, there's hoops to jump through, added expenses to be handled, and a very limited "customer" base. Oh yeah, and we builders have a well earned reputation for seeking out "the cheapest" way to go.
Other than Mel, Mike, and Alex, there probably aren't many service providers in the experimental market that can do much better than cover their expenses and, I think all three of those guys do the experimental stuff as an add-on to other jobs.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

DAR

Yes, most of the information here is very accurate. We do have to stay current by traveling to seminars every couple of years at our own expense, and I know I undergo an annual inspection by the MIDO which supervises me. I do this for "fun" to be engaged in the AB community, and as an adjunct to a real job. :) I've met a lot of wonderful people, and I know I've helped a number of them with regards to safe first flights. That's what it's all about. :)

Vic

Well said. I live in a FSDO jurisdiction that says absolutely no FAA AW inspections. No DAR exists in my area, in fact Mel is going to do mine mostly as charity case I think (Texas is big, he lives nearly 600 miles from me)!:D
The FSDO suggested I become a DAR since I meet the qualifications, but I just am not interested, besides I could not even do my own plane!
Yes, most of the information here is very accurate. We do have to stay current by traveling to seminars every couple of years at our own expense, and I know I undergo an annual inspection by the MIDO which supervises me. I do this for "fun" to be engaged in the AB community, and as an adjunct to a real job. :) I've met a lot of wonderful people, and I know I've helped a number of them with regards to safe first flights. That's what it's all about. :)

Vic

Anyone is a DER here I appreciate your input. I am an aero engineer with 8 yrs of work exp in flight controls design. I am interested in becoming a private DER. Is there a software DER? I've seen FAA's courses on software but didn't see a software field on FAA website? What do I need to do to become a DER?

The FAA is moving away from individual DERs and going to ODAs. You could be a unit member of your company's ODA.

And yes, there are software DERs. Approval recommendation of DO-178B and DO-254 (complex hardware) documentation type stuff.