Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am getting in a catch 22 situation! To balance the elevators, they should be painted because the paint will ad some weight to the surface. But, the tip fairings are riveted on before painting, so there is no access to the lead counterbalances ! How have you done this?

- Did you calculate the weight of the paint and added it to the elevator, to balance it before painting it?
- Did you just balance it before putting the tip-fairing on and before painting it, and call it a day?
- Did you figure out some way to balance it with the fairing installed and the elevator painted?

Regards, Tonny

This may not have been the best method, but elevators were painted prior to installation. After installing, and before connecting the two elevator halves together, I drilled a series of holes (1/2 in I think) into the lead weight that was visible. I did this before connecting the two halves due to the electric trim installation in the left elevator that added weight. It required several more holes on the right than on the left. After balancing, I used a small brush and touched up the bare materiel in the holes.

Balance...

I balanced my unpainted 7A elevators a bit nose heavy - they rested about 30 degrees down. After paint they were very well balanced (just dumb luck, but I'll take it)
Elevator balance is not super critical on these planes (been discussed before). You do want to get them as close as you can, but don't fret about being a few ounces off.

I balanced my unpainted 7A elevators a bit nose heavy - they rested about 30 degrees down. After paint they were very well balanced (just dumb luck, but I'll take it)

Van's told me something similar when I asked - I said I wanted to paint after flying for a while. They told me (YMMV) to just leave em a little heavy then remove the extra after the paint is on. That's what I did - worked great. I just drilled out some lead and filled with micro balloons, then touch up paint over the hole.

This covers heavy or light outcomes.

Stole this idea from someone but it covers both sides. Note that there are two 1/4 fine platenuts in the rib so that you can put a small heavy plate or a couple of fender washers for balance if it comes out a light. Use drilled head bolts and safety wire just for grins. So, just leave it just a little heavy or balanced and then either drill lead or add washers to balance.

Covers both sides and only costs you a couple of platenuts.

Hope this helps!

Bill S
7a finishing.

Van's told me something similar when I asked - I said I wanted to paint after flying for a while. They told me (YMMV) to just leave em a little heavy then remove the extra after the paint is on. That's what I did - worked great. I just drilled out some lead and filled with micro balloons, then touch up paint over the hole.

In my case, I drilled out some lead before painting, and had to add it back in melted form (locking pins, etc) , after painting. It was also touched up with a filler. Mine is a 6, and may be different.

L.Adamson

This was a stupid question!

Today when I unclamped the locking devices and took the elevators of the horizontal stabaliser I realised what a stupid question this was! I can still get to the inboard counterweights, for removing weight! How stupid could I be, I have actually build these myself.......well....... that was a couple of years ago, but still.

Sorry, and thanks for the answers anyway.

Regards, Tonny.